Return of the Dark Sorcerer is a Final Fantasy VI mod that's been in development for about six years and has had many different hands on to help get it to where it is today.
This mod promises to showcase some of the more challenging aspects of FFVI modding, as well as plenty of fun and exciting new content -- from an all new cast of playable characters with customized movesets, a radically changed story with many new and customized events, new overworld maps, a new soundtrack, and lots of unique sprites.
It is a highly personalized modification of the original game and therefore naturally won't appeal to everyone. It's not a sequel or a prequel or a remake to FFVI, it is just a massive mod and customization of FFVI. If you go into it thinking like this I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable experience than expecting some high quality re-take on the game and coming out feeling disappointed. That being said, a lot of time and love has gone into this project and I'm very happy with how it has turned out thus far.
Current version is 1.5.5
- New cast of characters with customized move sets.
- New and customized events.
- A whole new musical soundtrack.
- New WoB and WoR overworld maps
- New dialog script.
- Major original bugs fixed, many of the lesser ones as well.
- WoB Colosseum added.
- Soul Shrine boss medly event.
- Longer Esper & Spell names.
- Natural stat growth.
- Stat raising items, ala Chrono Trigger & FFIV.
- Character class names.
- More Rare items, with uses.
- Increased game difficulty.
- Removed Level Averaging.
- Removed Magicite level-up bonuses.
- Different skills like Magic, Tools, Item etc. all take different time before initiating.
- New Game + event.
- New and customized maps.
- A hundred or so added treasures.
- Music plays uninterrupted (no battle music) in most non-overworld areas.
- The 7 dragons replaced with Lord Envoy's FFVI Advance Monsters Den counterparts.
- Super bosses.
- Imported BRR's (instrument samples) from other games.
- New monsters and bosses. (Sprites, battle scripts, stats)
- Unique NPC sprites, and some very interesting characters.
- New spells and custom spell animations, as well as weapon graphics.
- Hold "B" to sprint.
- High MP costing Spells, and a fixed MP digit in the menu to compensate.
- Near Fatal Status is changed to 1/4 HP from 1/8, to encourage more Desperation Attacks; - Desperation Attacks is not limited to just once per battle per character.
- New equipment and Relics.
- All items have descriptions.