Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > v1.7.1 Update!

sonic.penguin

Found another bug, not a major one though. So apparently the game is not refreshing character stats that were put back into the roster with hp and Im assuming MP boosting armor equipped then de-equipped via the NPC.

For example, I equip Avalon with a Red Cap to increase HP. He now has 9500 hp. I put him back in the airship roster and get a new party that does not include Avalon. I go to the de-equip NPC and de-euip all characters not in the party. When I go back to switch characters, Avalon still has 9500 hp! Although when I add him back to the party, his HP returns to normal 7500. It's eventually doing what it's supposed to do, but it sure made me wonder why Avalon had so much HP at first as I thought he had a growth scheme that favored HP then I got fooled :P

--

Creator of Destiny of an Emperor Mods

Co-Author - Destiny of an Emperor Romhacking Guide

Rise of Lu Bu          Rise of Ieyasu          Flames of Wu

Hero of Chaos (Incomplete)

March 21, 2017 at 10:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike (Gi Nattak)
Site Owner

Can confirm! I'm not sure if it's an original game bug or not, but this is a good find, thanks.

--

March 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sonic.penguin

No problem. Another bug that was present in the original game was the Evade stat. Everything was based on Mblock and evade was useless while a high Mblock near 100% made you pretty indestructible, so I wasn't sure if this was addressed.

Another thing, is it possible to give the "Conformer" the Hawkeye throw animation that looked and sounded awesomely serious vs the dorky orange frisbee?

--

March 21, 2017 at 11:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike (Gi Nattak)
Site Owner

I see it is an original bug. I know just who to forward this to.

Yeah most of the original bugs have been taken care of, all the really important ones like the evade bug.

Haha, probably. I remember tweaking that one to try and resemble the Conformer in FF7.

--

March 22, 2017 at 12:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rafael Duque

well hi Gi what is this Avalon issue? for his HP can you explain

March 22, 2017 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sonic.penguin

Okay so I forced myself through the end of the game. Gotta keep in mind that I started a new game and was not playing new game+ with all the gear, stats, and knowledge in place, I was going in fresh.

Anyways, I leveled all end-dungeon characters to lvls 60-99 just to survive which was a huge pain to grind that much in the dragon forest. Completing the extra dungeon in FuSoYa's town helped with getting the additional sword which I converted to another lightsaber in the coloseum. Shenron was a wimp compared to the statues in Zuriels tower. Why did each statue only have stupid tabs? I was hoping for some mega-uber-rare weapons/armor/relics for wasting my time and HP trying to steal. BTW, where is a relic to increase "Steal" success rate or "marvel shoes"?

--

March 23, 2017 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sonic.penguin

From going through it, I see what the end-game strategy involves which is the two espers that give you protect and shell and/or pod bracelets for everyone for fighting battles from the back row just to survive the multi-6000+ hits that are non-elemental. Fenrir would probably help too making shadow copies to survive those physical attacks too. Mblock and def seem useless in this mod compared to having elemental absorb which makes proto and star shields useless as they dont raise def enough to compensate. No snow muffler... :( Part 2 coming later...

--

March 23, 2017 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sonic.penguin

Okay so I wanted to conclude my review of the mod with a few things.

1. I think it was mentioned in another thread, but I agree that playing on *Insane* and/or new game+ should allow you some additional bonuses in the form of a new dungeon, new character (access to Leo in WoR for example via an event), or new items dropped/stolen from bosses. This would not only give your mod more replay value, but would also encourage players to further delve into the depths and explore the mod more.

2. I enjoyed the new additional boss battles that were added to the game. Some of the dialogue in the game played out like an expository textbook, but the surprise boss battles helped break up the monotony. This is what they are doing in the FF7 remake is they found players got bored making an identical clone with changed graphics only. So they are adding in extra battles and more unique events. Would like to see you add more as well with more unique rewards to break up the 90% stock FFVI gameflow.

3. Expand the Shenron bonus dungeon. It was too short!

--

March 24, 2017 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sonic.penguin

4. Often overlooked are the graphical work which is A LOT of work for very small situations. Sprite work is great and represents a great deal of effort as are the world maps. Great job. WoR iisland with Arc's hut needed... more. I only stopped there once to pick him up and never went back. Maybe make the desert there full of Cactuars with a cactuar boss event to get some Marvel Shoes or maybe move a town over there, or SOMETHING considering players don't walk around from town to town after they get the airship.

5. Portraits overall are an improvement from the previous portraits. I like how they are more unique but wish they were a bit more stylized. Arc looks like a guy I knew in highschool who was always strung out on drugs. I would still fix Tifa's lazy eye and would try to stylize and beautify Aurora a little more to maybe be a bit more like Lulu from FFX which would also match her sprite: see here

6. Loved how I coud play around in the Coloseum in WoB. Great idea on this.

7. Avalon did get weaker at the END of the game compared to characters who could use lightsabers + Divine gift who had higher DPS. Magic users with Meteo became better END GAME, but were too squishy to be of much use throughout most of the game.

--

March 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Heisenberg89

sonic.penguin at March 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM

4. Often overlooked are the graphical work which is A LOT of work for very small situations. Sprite work is great and represents a great deal of effort as are the world maps. Great job. WoR iisland with Arc's hut needed... more. I only stopped there once to pick him up and never went back. Maybe make the desert there full of Cactuars with a cactuar boss event to get some Marvel Shoes or maybe move a town over there, or SOMETHING considering players don't walk around from town to town after they get the airship.

5. Portraits overall are an improvement from the previous portraits. I like how they are more unique but wish they were a bit more stylized. Arc looks like a guy I knew in highschool who was always strung out on drugs. I would still fix Tifa's lazy eye and would try to stylize and beautify Aurora a little more to maybe be a bit more like Lulu from FFX which would also match her sprite: see here

6. Loved how I coud play around in the Coloseum in WoB. Great idea on this.

7. Avalon did get weaker at the END of the game compared to characters who could use lightsabers + Divine gift who had higher DPS. Magic users with Meteo became better END GAME, but were too squishy to be of much use throughout most of the game.

first off thanks for number 4 i tried adding in alot of new tiles for maps. My hardrive crashed so iv had bother past week or so, arc is still a big improvement on what was there with 1.2 lol but fair enough it not one of the best ill agree it was based on onion knight from dissidia it could prob stand an upgrade, i will fix tifas eye and make another aurora probably. did you ever play with the 1.3 ports? i think we include them with a patch. I will prob end up doing them again if need be but iv done em a few times now lol. thanks for seeing the improvement :)

and also thanks for the feedback

--

Your godamn right!

March 24, 2017 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.