Return of the Dark Sorcerer is an incredibly large fan-made Final Fantasy 6 modification that's been in development since 2010. It's had quite a few different hands on to get it to where it is today.
This mod promises to showcase some of the challenging aspects of FF6 romhacking, as well as plenty of fun and exciting new content - from an all new cast of playable characters with customized movesets, a radically changed story with many new and edited events, new overworld maps, a new musical soundtrack, difficulty selection, new battle scripts for monsters & bosses, custom character portraits, and an absolute ton of custom monster/esper and NPC sprites...and much more!
It is a highly personalized modification of the original game and therefore naturally won't appeal to everyone. It's not a sequel or a prequel or a remake to FF6, it is a massive amalgamation mod and customization of FF6 that does contain a whole bunch of references and can be rather nonsensical or even immersion-breaking at times. But, if you go into it prepared for this I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable experience than expecting some quality re-take on the game and coming out feeling disappointed. That being said, a LOT of time and love has gone into this project and we are quite pleased with the result!
Current version is 2.0.6 (DL link below)
- New cast of characters with customized move sets.
- New and customized events.
- A whole new musical soundtrack.
- New WoB and WoR overworld maps.
- Difficulty selection.
- Music player.
- A font change in config menu.
- New dialog script.
- Major original bugs fixed, many of the lesser ones as well.
- WoB Colosseum added.
- Soul Shrine boss medly event.
- Longer Esper & Spell names.
- Natural stat growth.
- Stat raising items, ala Chrono Trigger & FFIV.
- Character class names.
- More Rare items, with uses.
- More Item icons.
- Increased game difficulty.
- Removed Level Averaging.
- Removed Magicite level-up bonuses.
- Different skills like Magic, Tools, Item etc. all take different time before initiating.
- New Game + event.
- New and customized maps.
- A hundred or so added treasures.
- Lowered monster encounter rate.
- Music plays uninterrupted (no battle music) in most non-overworld areas.
- The 7 dragons replaced with Lord Envoy's FFVI Advance Monsters Den counterparts.
- Super bosses.
- Imported BRR's (instrument samples) from other games.
- New monsters and bosses. (Sprites, battle scripts, stats)
- Unique NPC sprites, and some very interesting characters.
- Custom character portraits.
- New spells and custom spell animations, as well as weapon graphics.
- Hold "B" to sprint.
- High MP costing Spells, and a fixed MP digit in the menu to compensate.
- Near Fatal Status is changed to 1/4 HP from 1/8, to encourage more Desperation Attacks; - Desperation Attacks is not limited to just once per battle per character.
- New equipment and Relics.
- All items have descriptions.
Our main site for hacking FF6 and hanging out - https://www.ff6hacking.com
New place of forums for mods including this one - fhttp://ngplus.net/
Old place of forums for mods including this one - http://www.insanedifficulty.com/
For all your ROM hacking needs - http://www.romhacking.net/
Madsiur's Lair - http://madsiur.net/
James White's Deviant Art - http://jameswhite89.deviantart.com/
JCE3000GT's site - http://www.jce3000gt.com
Lenophis' site of veterans - http://slickproductions.org/
Our FF6 Hacking.com's Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVUc-p_D53ci8b1bAhr5HmA