Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > v1.7.1 Update!

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Exactly one month after the big ol' 1.7 update, a much needed follow up update is here.

DL: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vtt9w97c4nplly0/RotDS+v1.7.1.smc

or the zip package:

http://www.ff6hacking.com/Patches/FFVI_ROTDS.zip

readme/credits: http://www.ff6hacking.com/Patches/readme_credits.txt

change log: http://www.ff6hacking.com/Patches/change_log.txt

(same links as always)

Notable changes include:

v1.7.1

- fixed a nasty bug where there could be 3 aurora objects to start the game if there was srm data present.

- fixed a horrible mistake of the game black screening if Oak dies.

- fixed an issue of wrong formation of monsters used on the WoB triangle island.

- fixed Oboro not merging correctly into the party in Rampart pub if hired.

- fixed a bug with Mithril Pike and Handcannon not optimizing correctly. (thanks Madsiur for help)

- fixed an vanilla issue of Aurora & Cloud not showing up for a second in Returner's Hideout, after speaking with Astral event.

- fixed a bug with Leo repeating some text and taking a step backward on the ship after Levy if talked to again.

- fixed a wrong NPC in Jericho when Kefka attacks.

- fixed a song/music player entrance event issue in Jericho.

- fixed a game freezing bug and other weirdness at the end game scenes if certain people were not recruited.

- fixed a nibble issue with the Stone Queen being released.

- fixed an instance of Intercepter being on the Airship deck before going in the Phoenix Cave.

- corrected a positioning error of the airship and character on the overworld after the Phoenix Cave.

- corrected a small blunder in Kefka's Tower with an event trigger I moved for testing...

- applied Muddle Cancel patch. (credit to Seibaby)

- applied Independent Stop patch. (credit to Seibaby)

- bettered the ugly reflect graphic byproduct of color coded digits.

- moved the WoB Durandal castle up just a bit on the overworld for a smoother, more accurate underground movement path.

- touched up the Skull Train outside tiles.

- touched up the WoB Minimap graphic.

- lowered overall monster encounter rates.

- changed Volcano (Fire 3) spell graphic/animation back to original because it had some issues and went on too long.

- made it so no exp. is gained for the Aerith flashback battles.

- made the T'ai Chi Cap and Bard's Hat equipable by some, not everyone.

- edited various regular monster AI & stats for the different difficulties.

- added a few new NPCs.

- some small event edits.

- the usual dialog and song touch ups.

--

February 2, 2017 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74

Forgot to take a screenshot, but on the 3rd encounter with Arc on the Skull Train, Ronan says "Don't worry, we'll take care of A

c"

Looks like his name got cut off.

--

February 23, 2017 at 5:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74

One more thing, a confused Mr Grimm, when un-confused, his sprite is looking away from the party.

--

February 23, 2017 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74
And there's a Mugger encountered near the Stardust village region, the graphics in that battle are slightly garbled up
--

February 25, 2017 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Thanks for the reports! I meant to respond yesterday but got sidetracked.

That first one, with Arc's name being cut off, I can't replicate, but I know of another case of a name being cut off in the same way which I tried to fix for this last version. I couldn't replicate that either, but I watched it go down on a stream. I'm not sure what could cause that or why it is shown correctly for me, but it seems it's a rare case and hopefully it doesn't show up anymore but please be on the lookout for any more of those. For this one, I just changed his name (Arc) which uses a text command instead of actually spelling out ARC, to 'him' - I think the issue is when the name command is used at the beggining of a line-break that this happens, and I -might- know what could be responsible for doing this... though again I'm mystified why I can't replicate it...

Mr. Grimm, yeah I've seen that lol. I'm working on him now, think I'll just give him a relic to prevent him from being turned confused, or hex'd, etc. Easy fix! I also noticed another little issue for that battle while working on this, where if you kill the train first before Grimm, his (Grimm's) name vanishes from the monster names on the left there. So got that fixed up too. ^_^

The Mugger graphic concerns me slightly. If you could get a pic of that it'd greatly help, though I will look for it in-game here as well.

EDIT: I checked him (Mugger) out there on both SNES9x and ZSNES and the graphic looks fine. The only thing that could cause monster sprite glitchyness is if a new version was patched over a previous version, but I know you well enough to know you didn't do that. So yeah I'm a bit stumped atm, screenshot might help though still.

--

February 25, 2017 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74
I'll try for a screenshot later, I"m currently stuck in Facility X trying to take out Shijima w/ a party of Cloud, Serin and Ronan. Are there rare encounters like the Mugger (And the Stillborn in Psycho City) just about everywhere?
--

February 25, 2017 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74
About the mugger, fought another one and didn't have any graphical issues. Using Zsnes 1.5.1 with a fresh ROM.
--

February 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

lordalexander74 at February 25, 2017 at 7:12 PM

I'll try for a screenshot later, I"m currently stuck in Facility X trying to take out Shijima w/ a party of Cloud, Serin and Ronan. Are there rare encounters like the Mugger (And the Stillborn in Psycho City) just about everywhere?

there were a few monster encounters added in a recent version, the Mugger and the Assassin. They can be found in a few pack formations in the WoB before heading to Glow City. And in the WoR there's some rare monsters too, one in the Cave to get the Castle back above ground (blocking on the name atm), and then one in the Narshe snow battle field right before Tritoch. Besides these there are probably some rare monster encounters in some packs, such as the Stillborn yes, which in the WoR becomes a normal encounter - I used some WoR monsters for rare WoB encounters.

--

February 27, 2017 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Heisenberg89

I changed a few bosses 2. hope u guys dig, probably will be it for awhile graphically speaking 

--

Your godamn right!

February 27, 2017 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74
Just got to the WoR. When entering/exiting Rampart, the overworld music doesn't start over, it just picks up where it left off. Only rampart though, doesn't occur in any other town on that continent. Nice touch with the record player in Willoughby playing the LTTP Dark World theme
--

February 28, 2017 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

There'll probably be a couple-few more cases of that on some exits, probably in non-overworld places though. That's something that I've been lagging on 'fixing' all the way for a while now, it's caused by having so many songs where the game is not programmed to pick back where the song came on after I think the normal range of 55, so I've swapped a bunch of town songs over to this range for that reason. Or maybe it's ones after the first expanded range...that require a different song play command to play...can't remember now. But I may have overlooked this one all together, thanks! I'm sure there's another few songs I could swap IDs with to get it right. At one point I think Madsiur looked into expanding the list or the other song play command to accomidate all songs to start over, but it was deemed impossible, I think.

EDIT: looking here that song ID is in the correct range, so maybe I forgot to change the play song command to the right one or something, will check into it.

EDIT2: Ahhh, I see what is happening here. Forgot to update a table after having swapped some song IDs around. The table is meant for battle songs only, that's what it was. Problem resolved. I see WoR Jidoor's song is set to do it as well. These will be taken care of for the next update which is shaping up nicely.

--

February 28, 2017 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74
Is the rare spawn in the Den of Evil supposed to play the FFMQ battle music, or should the dungeon music be playing?
--

March 1, 2017 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

99% sure I wanted it to play the MQ Battle song yeah.

--

March 2, 2017 at 2:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74
Figured that was the case. Much better way of farming apples/soma drops than rare steals from rare monsters.
--

March 2, 2017 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74

Is this door supposed to lead to open sky? Could make sense, considering the magical nature of the Spellbound Castle and all the teleport squares.

Also, one of the NPC's in the esper village mentions a sorcerer/NPC in the spellbound castle. Is he referring to that green gargoyle guy in the treasure room?

--

March 4, 2017 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Eh no it's not, I never attempted to fix that one. I like your explaination for it though lol. I just recently managed to fix (with some direct assistence) the doors on the fanatic towers how they show the background through them, so I'll see if a similar fix can be applied here.

That NPC I think was referencing Golbez, I think.

--

March 4, 2017 at 11:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74

Something isn't right here...

--

March 5, 2017 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Uh oh..! This message popped up after defeating Alpha Omega huh?

EDIT Ahh I see what I did. Meant to call a text box right before this one, that just says HP recovered status ailments gone. Ugh what a blunder, thanks for the report!

Looks like you're wrapping up the playthrough there. Hopefully that is the last of the bugs lol.

There is an update on the way here, now it's just an issue with the music player on some maps that needs to get fixed (hopefully) and it's ready to go. Oh and that door/background issue, didn't have much luck last night but I haven't thrown the towel in yet.

--

March 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

break

Oh man, I got caught up in all of the Nintendo Switch hype that I forgot to check in here for updates  >_<"

Hmm, but it appears that there are a few reported bugs/errors with the current build...should I wait until version 1.7.2 is released ?

--

Pokemon Red 3DS-XL friend code : 1864-9639-1699 (Zeheart)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/breaktube

http://www.youtube.com/user/breaktube

March 5, 2017 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rafael Duque

Gi Nattak at March 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM

Uh oh..! This message popped up after defeating Alpha Omega huh?

EDIT Ahh I see what I did. Meant to call a text box right before this one, that just says HP recovered status ailments gone. Ugh what a blunder, thanks for the report!

Looks like you're wrapping up the playthrough there. Hopefully that is the last of the bugs lol.

There is an update on the way here, now it's just an issue with the music player on some maps that needs to get fixed (hopefully) and it's ready to go. Oh and that door/background issue, didn't have much luck last night but I haven't thrown the towel in yet.

i think the next is on the way it never happend before

March 5, 2017 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.