Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > 1.8.0 is out

Webbhead08

Interesting bug to report - had Serin equipped with Phoenix esper, none of the skills learned past 10% if at all, and after defeating the dark crystal, after you know who, I ended up with 100, 44, 100, 44, 100% for phoenix spells learned. Is there a cap on max spell points per battle or something? Did not get all 5 x 100, although got the one that mattered the most so... 

Everyone else got 100% of theirs (Odin, Black Waltz, and Anima) 

Also, do you lose all random battles in the area after defeating Shenron? No more encounters for me, anywhere

October 25, 2017 at 9:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Webbhead08

Is Alpha Omega Dream Stone version powered up, or the same? Seemed stronger but I liked it. 

(Also, only gained 1 Might Tab from Dream Stone sequence) 

October 29, 2017 at 9:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Taco_Party

I'm downloading v1.8.3 now.

For the record, I've saved older versions of this hack on a flash drive. I have a folder for the original v1.0 dated 10/31/2014. It's been more than three years you guys have been developing this shit. Keep up the good work, mofos.

--

October 31, 2017 at 2:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Wow hey so sorry for the lack of response, according to the home page there was no new post in over a month, so I didn't check here. >_< Thanks so much for the bug reports, I'll look into them for the next update, which is still soon to come! Gonna be a really nice one at that.

--

November 15, 2017 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

[No rewards for killing elder dragon? Or is it a chance drop I didn't get?]

It can actually drop a Golden Apple, but it's rare.

[Wooh! Coldfang fight was phan-figgity-fucking tastic! Perhaps taken on too early, but

after 30+ recharges, an elixir, and 30 minutes, that sweet sweet sound of crackle and

crumble came boisterously through. Plus I LOVE that song, it's so well done. Is the song for the Coldfang fight "SOM Boss Theme" ? The music player plays the correct tune, but searching online the Secret of Mana Boss Theme song is a different one... a little confused]

Right on! That one seems to be a popular one among players. That song is awesome, it was a case of one that got a major sound update being on SNES/FFVI. The game it's from is Sword of Mana, I was afraid that SoM would cause some confusion >_< I think Sword of Mana would make it go past the character limit for that menu, but maybe now I'll check! The Secret of Mana boss theme is also in the game heh.

--

November 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

[Interesting bug to report - had Serin equipped with Phoenix esper, none of the skills

learned past 10% if at all, and after defeating the dark crystal, after you know who, I ended up with 100, 44, 100, 44, 100% for phoenix spells learned. Is there a cap on max spell points per battle or something? Did not get all 5 x 100, although got the one that mattered the most so...

Everyone else got 100% of theirs (Odin, Black Waltz, and Anima)

Also, do you lose all random battles in the area after defeating Shenron? No more encounters for me, anywhere]

Huh that is interesting, there might just be a cap or it goes weird. I'll look into that as well, good catch. And yes I removed the random battles from there after defeating Shenron.

[Is Alpha Omega Dream Stone version powered up, or the same? Seemed stronger but I liked it.

(Also, only gained 1 Might Tab from Dream Stone sequence)]

He is the same. And d'oh! I'll take a look, thanks. :)

--

November 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ZarethKnyght

*reads that encounter rate was lowered*

Now I want to know wtf the encounter rate was before since I get into a battle around every 10-15 steps (without talisman) o.o

And dang...the need to grind in this game is more pronounced it feels.

March 17, 2018 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74

Minor issue: two characters both equipped with the paladin icon, will both cover an injured ally. Though only one of them takes damage.

--

August 12, 2018 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Webbhead08

Interesting. I would be curious to know how that plays out.... Most current hp or lowest hp in first, or most max hp goes first? who takes damage? could you potentially double paladin icon, I can think of a few fights that could be a handy option

August 30, 2018 at 8:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lordalexander74

Dunno, haven't had the chance for further testing.

Though I did come across an issue I've been unable to replicate. Right after the fight with Zemus on the floating continent, Zuriel moved one of the statues... and just stood there in between them, not moving.

I reloaded a save state and tried that fight and scene again, and everything proceeded normally.

--

September 17, 2018 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mantecol

Can't wait for 2.0

October 3, 2018 at 9:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Totemau5

Hey guys,

I really love that modification for Final Fantasy 6, its brilliant and huge. Very well made and I really want to play the hell out of it!! BUT theres one big problem I cant get this run on Canoe-Emulator, thats the emulator which is used for my Snes Classic Mini. It only gets a blue distorted screen on startup and nothing happens. I tried out with retroarch, but then I got heavy sound issues, sound crackling etc.

Is there any way to get this working on the standard Emulator from Snes Mini Classic? I really love to play it on my couch you know. :-)

Any reply would be much appreciated.

--

October 5, 2018 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Totemau5

Seems to be all dead here. Sad :(

--

October 15, 2018 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Heisenberg89

Totemau5 at October 15, 2018 at 4:45 PM

Seems to be all dead here. Sad :(

no sir not dead just pretty busy atm. thanks for the kind words they mean alot to us. Were hopin for xmas now at latest, sorry 2.0 is takin awhile guys but its almost there.

--

Your godamn right!

October 16, 2018 at 5:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

moultonmagma

Hey Guys,

I am just finishing up my first run through 1.8.3. Final Fantasy 6 is one of my all time favorite games. When I found out about this ROM hack I was very intrigued. I am currently playing it on my soft modded WII on snes9x. Once there is a stable final version I will probably make a cartirdge and play it on my original SNES.

Anyway, Im loving the story. I love the mashup of characters from other final fantasy games as well other games (I laughed so hard when I battled Raditz the first time). I know some people don't like this mashup, but I am enjoying the heck out of it! I love that you offer a choice of difficulties as well. I started out on Normal but now wishing i had done hard or insane for my first run. 

I love the story and the script. While there are a few grammatical errors (missing commas here and there) but it doesnt detract one bit. I also found myself reading Otis's lines with a drunken pirate accent. HA!

I absolutely loved the Dream Melody boss rush. That was a lot of fun. My least favorite battle was with Shenron though. What a pain in the butt.  The Propigator in the back room wasnt to bad, just a long battle.

The 8 dragons were pretty easy as were most of the bosses. The new optional bosses and some of the monsters in a box were more challanging than the dragons.

Im just about 80 hours in on run one, as I have been farming might tabs and trying to buy all the other tabs from the auction house. I wish there was another way to farm the stamina and speed tabs. The auction house seems to want to sell me 1 of those every 30-40 magic tabs. Also I wish there was a way to make the world map bigger. I think you could in the original game. Maybe it was only once you had the airship. But i find it hard to tell on the map where the towns are located when its so small.

Im very excited to see what you have in store for the next version. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

But while I am waiting I do have a few questions about 1.8.3.

I saw mention of Santa's secret workshop... Where is it? I have searched high and low. I found a spot in the esper world, in the trees that I thought would lead me it possibly but it was a blind maze that lead to nowhere. ~sigh~ 

In regards to reaper and his spirit technique. If i have him "learn" a bunch of creatures, will they carry over to new game +? I know fusoya's lores don't but i was curious if it made sense even bother using him. Astral was a dismal level 22 when I found him. The rest of my team was between 60-80.

Lastly, Seeing where this game is now, Id love to play some previous versions of the hack. Is there an archive somewhere so I could check it out and download the old patches?

Anyway, thank you all for your years of hard work on this fantastic rom hack. You guys have done an amazing job!

Cheers

November 2, 2018 at 11:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Webbhead08

sorry I couldn't remember how to add spoiler text so I just deleted this. 

November 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

moultonmagma

Webbhead08 at November 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM

sorry I couldn't remember how to add spoiler text so I just deleted this. 

Well I missed what you posted before deletion. If it was an answer to any of my questions, please feel free to pm it to me. I haven't seen much use of spoiler tags around here, but understand you wanting to use them. Thanks
November 4, 2018 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

moultonmagma
Well I found Santa's workshop. I guess I just didn't try hard enough in the spot I thought it was. When I made my original post I forgot to mention two issues I had. 1 when doing the dream shrine when you first enter, the Sprite for the guy is split and both halves look to be on the wrong side. He is broken. Also not sure if this is meant to be this way or not, but at the auction house in twilight Vista. When bidding on a might tab, the first person that bids. The text box pops up but there is No text. But then it goes on to the next bid. Also does anyone else find the auctioneers text about opening your wallet, to be really repetitive? Especially when bidding on Omni elixers since he repeats that line 3 times. Is there a way to mix it up a bit and have him say something different each time he ask for a bid from you on?
November 6, 2018 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

@ Totemau5 - Hey, sorry I'm not sure about that emulator, my guess is it has trouble loading 6MB ROMS. If you can try and run Tales of Phantasia (also 6MB) on it and let me know if it works, and it does, then we could possibly go from there. Sorry for the inactivity around here also, like James said we're all quite busy and still working hard on getting this version 2.0 out!

@ moultonmagma - Thanks for playing and the nice words! And thanks for the reports, all these issues have thankfully already been taken care of during beta testing, which is almost finished. Still thanks for reporting them! The auction house code is supposed to be random, even more so than in the vanilla game, but it can be very un-random at times... I can try to look into helping it out sometime. Eventually, maybe, I'd like to change it from an auction system to a donation system, but it's quite a large endeavor to take on at this point...

Anyways, we're still quite alive and active over at ff6hacking.com and the ff6hacking discord channel, should you guys ever find this place non-active, though I will try to pay more attention here, especially now that we are wrapping things up on this large update. :) This site is just obviously such trash compared to our main ff6hacking one lol. But hey, can't beat the price!

--

November 6, 2018 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Webbhead08

Well, I have no clue how I did it, but I turned my Talisman, yes the relic, into a Paladin Shield. I assure you, I have not completed the requirements to obtain a Paladin shield the normal way yet either. (So in theory I could have two from a single playthrough...)

I returned to Murder Mountain with the sole purpose of killing the dragon there, and when I got to the save point, I go to the relic menu to take off my Talisman and equip a better suited boss relic, and Avalon has 'Paladin Shield' in his relic slot where the Talisman should have been. Go to 'remove relic' and poof I have an equippable seemingly unbugged paladin shield in my inventory ready to use. The downside being that my Talisman is gone and halving encounter rate is quite handy, and there is no way to obtain a new Talisman that I know of.

Sabin, Cloud, Aurora, Avalon was my party and I did have Cloud using 'Finishing Touch' a lot which I think I is kind of glitched skill in its own way, but other than that I was running from battles so, I have no clue how, or when exactly it happened.

Thought I would mention it!

I am saving some of the save states in a separate spot if someone wants me to email them over, I only wish I had more to more accurately locate how and why this happened. I feel guilty having a paladin shield so early without 'earning' one but it will set me back a bit to find a previous file...

Let me know -

Web

November 18, 2018 at 11:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.