Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > My Review of V. 1.8.3

Brock E Henley
Here's the link to the romhacking website that hosts my review on this version. https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/3514/#review
April 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Thanks so much for the glowing review! I really appreciate it, I love reviews and thanks for taking the time to do one, I enjoy feedback of any kind and I did pick up quite a few things that I agree should be worked on and/or changed. I will definitely heed your words and concerns. And the fact you liked it more than the original game is incredible to hear! :D 

One huge question I have is the low priced Omni-elixirs... where is this!? I'll check the stores to see if I ****ed up on one of them, but if it's not that I'm not sure where these are being sold at, as they shoudn't be >_<

Huge question #2: "The Divine gift is completely useless. Please fix this."

Uh oh, what's not working with it? I'll of course test it here, now, but last time I checked it was working as it should, doing 1-3 attacks. Is it broken?

About the item names: Ah yes, the item names are probably up there with the most disliked change among the board. I've often thought about changing them back, and I did include an optional patch with the hack package that changes back the food items, but maybe not the Sour Diesel one lol... Yeah I went the route of what I'd imagine using for Items, kinda Earthbound-like if you will, but I agree it's a like it or hate it kinda thing. A fellow on our hacking discord was at one point thinking about making the item names an option in the config menu in-game, to switch between classic and...different... but it hasn't happened yet. I can change more of them for the patch though at the very least, and make it simply a 'Classic item name' patch. I think I changed 8 so far, but like I said Sour Diesel is probably not one of them.

As for the character breakdown, I agree with much of what was mentioned. I have good news for Ronan, he has been granted what was Umaro's random tackle attack in the original FF6, without even needing a Relic, so he has a % to do a powerful tackle on regular physical attack at all times, seems fitting for a monk!

I'll see about changing up Cloud's Tornado 7th Limit, I can see how it would eradicate most monster packs. I did set a custom bit/flag on some of the stronger monsters so it shouldn't insta-kill them, or hit them even, I forget how it works now, hopefully that flag is still working though... Outside of this flag though I'm not too sure how I could nerf it without competely re-invinting it. But we'll see.

Avalon is well-renowned for his OPness lol, he's kind of like a TG Cid of sorts I suppose... I nerfed him a tad this version but not in terms of his skill, I think. This is another skill I'm not too sure how to nerf it in a way that won't make him much worse. :/ Hopefully from what has been changed for this next version he will be a little less OP though, one can only hope.

--

April 26, 2018 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
🤗 The answer to your first question about the Omni elixers - I farmed 30 of them from the auction house for 60,000 Gil each - which for "the rarest substance in the universe" it was pretty cheap. You can also bet elixers and win the Omni elixers fairly easily - ironically the elixers pit you against the invincible Buu making them impossible to obtain. As far as the Divine gift, I meant it was useless in terms of playability. Even though it grants you more attacks you end up doing less damage because it halves your damage, the number of attacks are random, and you use a relic slot up that's better off as a player glove or cosmos ring. I think having more weapons like the Onimusha (Avalon's 2-4 attack katana) would be awesome on Ronin etc.. also, if ronin's command attacks did unique status infliction like siezure, poison, armor break or damage breaks, etc.. that would be amazing. Maybe even confuse. Tifas reels should be OP. Because they're random they should be so good that you are willing to waste a character slot on using her even for random perks. Like having her give status buffs to the group as well as attacks.
April 26, 2018 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
A couple other issues I found - no item description in battle, no select all for Float, the timer stopped at 99:59, And probably the most important thing - no item description in the equip and relic menu. Also, alpha Omega, ex death, and zeromus are all harder than the entirety of the final boss. Oh, the map doesn't get bigger when you press the start button.
April 26, 2018 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Ah, I see I see.

For Float I decided to make is solo target because it seemed a bit cheesy to simply cast on everyone at once and dodge earthquake & etc., and instead made Sylph esper (I think) useful by casting Float on all. I know it must be far more tedious now to get everyone safe and floaty, but I feel it gives the esper more purpose as well as the inherent float Relics.

Getting item descriptions in the other menus, you must mean like in the item list how you can select an item and go into a more detailed description screen? Because the normal item description text shows for the Relic menu, so I'm guessing that's what you mean. The Equipment menu there's no window of course for item descriptions. Messing with menus and windows is definitely not my forte lol, but it's worth noting.

"map doesn't get bigger when you press the start button."
Which is this? I'm drawing a blank.

--

April 26, 2018 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
I believe you used to be able to press the start button on the world map and it would get bigger and if you pressed start again it would go away - this allowed you to cycle the map between sizes of it's display. For the descriptions I mean when you simply highlight the item, it tells you a brief description. Is this not possible in the equipment screen? I don't mind the float thing, I think single Target is better, I just thought it wasn't intentional On the quake topic - quake is so good in the first play through.
April 26, 2018 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
I also wanted to point out the extreme exp. The world of ruin enemies give. When you get to the WOR with just tifa, you can grind that opening area and gain massive levels with insane exp gai As for reaper, is it possible to have an optional side quest where you can sacrifice one of your party members (for good) for the ability to gain reaper as a party member permanently? Reaper was an awesome idea. It took me forever to figure out how to get him into my party..
April 26, 2018 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Brock E Henley at April 26, 2018 at 5:59 PM

I believe you used to be able to press the start button on the world map and it would get bigger and if you pressed start again it would go away - this allowed you to cycle the map between sizes of it's display. For the descriptions I mean when you simply highlight the item, it tells you a brief description. Is this not possible in the equipment screen? I don't mind the float thing, I think single Target is better, I just thought it wasn't intentional On the quake topic - quake is so good in the first play through.

Huh I'm not too sure now, as far as I remember pressing start on the world map just enabled/disabled the mini map. I do remember a game though that did that, though. I think I'm thinking of Secret of Mana where pressing start as Flammie opened up a (shitty) map of the world.

--

April 26, 2018 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
For this 2.0 patch, can you make the rewards for the dream shrine godlike? Like 99 of each tab if you complete it on insane mode? Or a relic that gives xfight and dualcast?
April 26, 2018 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sonic.penguin

Tried this again after a few updates, sadly however, I'm experiencing a game freezes in both the "Narshe Walk" intro and in the first battle of the game where I cannot progress. Using ZSNES

--

Creator of Destiny of an Emperor Mods

Co-Author - Destiny of an Emperor Romhacking Guide

Rise of Lu Bu          Rise of Ieyasu          Flames of Wu

Hero of Chaos (Incomplete)

May 29, 2018 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
Try a different download source. Try a different emulator. Try non header download.
June 1, 2018 at 10:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.