Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > A few questions about doubts that I have

Mantecol

Hello everyone, I've been playing this godlike mod since January of this year, but I stopped playing before entering the final dungeon, I have continued it a few days ago, but It gets very extreme (can't beat the two last dragons and the last 'omega weapon' that is inside the prison), because I chose the hard difficult due to I though that I will get more experience, other items or some secret because of being playing in that difficult.

Now my first question is: Is there any place to farm exp and skill points like the original FF6?

My second question is: How can I find those espers that are missing? I think I accidentally skipped them. Below Fenrir, and below Bahamut.

May 3, 2018 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
You're missing the midgar zolom and black waltz. Midgar zolom is found in rampart (where you got Ronin in the WOR). BUT FIRST you have to get BMO (The Gameboy looking guy) from seascape town (the town to the South of rampart). To find BMO, go to seascape, head directly south once you enter to a house with a weird guy that says ERROR. Behind him is a hidden set of stairs. There's BMO. Now bring BMO back to rampart and in the middle bottom of the town you will see 2 people facing each other, talk to them - you get Midgar Zolom as a reward. To get black waltz - you must defeat all the legendary dragons - The final 2 are at the end of the final dungeon. The best place to level depends on if you are using an emulator with speed adjustments (x2, X4, x8, or x16 speeds) if you have that option on your emulator I can tell you how to level quickly.
May 3, 2018 at 7:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
Leveling on hard mode is really easy and quick. Insane mode is a little trickier but nonetheless easy as well. I was level 20 with Aurora before I left the very first cave.
May 3, 2018 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mantecol

Brock E Henley at May 3, 2018 at 7:08 PM

You're missing the midgar zolom and black waltz. Midgar zolom is found in rampart (where you got Ronin in the WOR). BUT FIRST you have to get BMO (The Gameboy looking guy) from seascape town (the town to the South of rampart). To find BMO, go to seascape, head directly south once you enter to a house with a weird guy that says ERROR. Behind him is a hidden set of stairs. There's BMO. Now bring BMO back to rampart and in the middle bottom of the town you will see 2 people facing each other, talk to them - you get Midgar Zolom as a reward. To get black waltz - you must defeat all the legendary dragons - The final 2 are at the end of the final dungeon. The best place to level depends on if you are using an emulator with speed adjustments (x2, X4, x8, or x16 speeds) if you have that option on your emulator I can tell you how to level quickly.

Thank you for your answer, and yes, I have emulator, can you tell me where you leveled your characters please?
May 4, 2018 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
Wow, idk why I never saw your response.. do you still need help? It's been 5 days lol. FYI it took me just a few hours to learn every spell and get to level 99 with everyone.. Step one is to get your people to a reasonable level so that you can grind harder enemies. I did this after I got FUSOYA and used his aqua lore which was an automatic AOE. I Went to the triangle island and entered the cave. Put it on x16 and press left and right only (not up and down) then went you get into a battle press B first (this will bring your cursor back to where ever it was in the previous battle) then press A. Make sure your config is set to memory and make sure you have Auto A button assigned. Once everyone gets higher levels (Around 50) use your airship and go to Tyrannosaurus island (the giant forest surrounded by mountains) and have at least one or two characters with Slayer glove and cosmos ring (or equivalent) and 2 decent swords (preferably zodiac Sword or equivalent) and put it on x16. Your battles will automatically end because your characters will automatically strike and kill the Tyrannosaurus. Do this until you hit 99!
May 9, 2018 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brock E Henley
Farming the Tyrannosaurus is good because they drop might tabs. So, you will probably get close to 200 of them just from grinding. The downside is you will have to get 99 shelters a lot and they don't drop Money. The only way to really get magic tabs is from the auction house and they cost 50k per. So if you are trying to max magic out, farming the Tyrannosaurus is a waste of time. Just remember, move LEFT and RIGHT when trying to encounter enemies. That way, when you enter battle you can just press the B button, and the cursor will go back to it's previous spot. Once you get good enough swords you can put a frenzy band and Slayer glove (if they don't already dual wield) and the Tyrannosaurus fights will be almost instantly over (at x16 speed) on insane mode you can't do those fights with less than a group of 3 people or you will die to the double Tyrannosaurus. On hard and easy mode you can solo it - but using 4 people is definitely optimal and actually faster.
May 10, 2018 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mantecol

Hello there, it's been a while.

Is there anyway to obtain golden apples or soma drops?

July 20, 2018 at 10:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Webbhead08

I have a question about New Game + character stats:

When you complete the game, and have the option for new game + (that is, not using the time egg in Jericho but maybe this is the same too, I'm not sure) it seems my chars carried over pumped up stats. Is this intentional? In theory, could I keep on beating the game and pumping my char's stats to crazy/max numbers ?

My main 4 on insane mode are all roughly lvl 50 maybe at about 1/3 the way in to WoR and they have 6500-7500 hp without equipment or relics on. Their might magic speed stamina stats are 90 ish or in some cases well over 100, without any gear or relics equipped. I think my Cloud has about 125 might and Aurora slightly less magic, with nothing equipped.

I think something happens when you eat tabs really early on, like it skews your stat trajectory per level up or something. I dont know how or why but I thought I would bring it up.

Few other items: is two player / two controller compatible? I can't get it to work in a few initial attempts but it could be my comp... my 2nd controller can make chars run away but not take any actions, and the 1p controller can select for all chars. Probably on my end something i need to figure out.

I would love to see Insane difficulty refurbished, or an additional 'Expert' or something mode added where some things dont carry over into new game + namely:

Meteo and its esper stone, because what's the point of the dragons now except for completionist

Ultima and its esper stone, because with this or Meteo learned, all insane mode constitutes is spamming these two spells unless you are self handi-capping.

If you have Meteo or Ultima It makes melee ...like 390 damage 1x swing, or Meteo for several thousand damage, and or Ultima for entire enemy party thousands of damage, that's hardly a decision.

Not completely sure if this was intended but, Cloud comes into NG + with all limits learned, and Ronan all Blitz's learned, but Oboro has not mastered his Havoc? Inconsistent, in my opinion. [Set them all back!]

Finishing Touch is way too OP it 1 shots' entire regular mobs left and right without regard (even on insane mode, and you start with it if you learned it). Ronan's ice shot is also way stronger than Guillotine accross the board plus can hit mulitples so that doesn't make much sense to me (again, true on norm and insane). The only time I would plug in Guillotine is if I know its an Ice Absorb enemy which is just about 1 or 2% of the fights, if that so I am disappointed his final blitz is phhhhhhhhht. Never use it.

I think a couple of the bosses on Insane mode got some nice bumps but for the most part 4-8x Ultima/Meteo's just drops everything once you get into the middle of WoB. The beginning is a bit tricky managing MP but if you packed 99 lemonades this isn't bad.

Now I'm just yawning in WoR trying out different things because watching Meteo go for the 1459th time is boring but nothing else compares for single target at least at level 50ish. Grinding with 2 birdo eggs is at least prretty nice though.

TL;DR I cast Meteo 5 or 6 times and JCE3000T went down in about 3 or 4 minutes when i was low level 40's, on insane mode, I think he only healed me. Jormangand in Zuriel's tower was even worse that fight was easier than the the battles getting there. I think I might ban Meteo from my playthrough at this point.

I hope I didn't come off too harsh, clearly I love this mod and appreciate more than words can express the work and effort put in to this game, would love to see it even better!

-Web

July 27, 2018 at 8:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Webbhead08

I tried to put this ^^^^ in a new topic but the ReCaptcha for new topics has been broken for a while now and I couldn't wait any longer to get feed back, I will move it to a new topic if/when I can. Sorry / Thanks

July 27, 2018 at 8:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Hello! Sorry for my absense yet again. Yes this site is garbage, I really need to get a decent one someday, but I'm cheap af. >_<
I'll alert the webs people to this issue, but I doubt they give a crap anymore lol.

I'll attempt to answer your Q's, here now.

1) Yeah, it's intentional to keep the character stats on a NG+. I think once they get super maxed, they roll over back to zero? Or maybe not, that may have been an issue back in the day or something. But yes, you can eventually pump them up to godlike stats. :)

2) That does seem like a pretty large amount of HP for that level, that's gotta be the Stamina stat boost giving more HP per level mod that's implemented. At least from a regular New Game playthrough I'd hope it wouldn't get that far up, but am not too sure.

3) last time I checked 2-player was working, but it was a long time ago when I was trying to figure out how the 2-player's turn has a slightly different sfx sound, which I was wanting to switch to player 1 just to switch more things up. I'll check again here though to be safe, thanks.

4) Meteo spam should be a thing of the past with the next version where esper restriction is the new default, well two or 3 people can still use it...at least it misses a lot lol.

5) about Havoc on NG+, yeah I can see your point. I never thought about it like most NG+ things. If I had to make a point against it, albeit not the best one, I'd say that it's far more story-driven than the other skills, exept Bum Rush, but even that can be learned at a high 'nuff level. To do this would require tweaking the code somehow to allow it just for a NG+, which I'm sure Madsiur could handle, but I'm not exactly on board with it as of yet. But I thank you for bringing it up.

6) I'll look into tweaking Final Touch, I did have it insta-kill any monster that does not have a flag checked, which all bosses of course and all the really stronger monsters have checked, but yes regular monsters get ****ed up bad. Ice blast could prob use a nerf as well, thing with Guillotine Flash is I changed it from Magic Damage to Purely Physical, which I think maybe is not the best idea if it is pailing in comparison to Ice Blast and what have you. Maybe it could be physical AND magic damage or something, if the game allows it lol.

7) Again hopefully Meteo will become less an issue with the esper restriction coming into play, but possibly not so much with a party of everyone that can use it... I think maybe the best thing would be to have it removed even on a NG+, probably. I can't remember if I have a forget spell code custom command. I can remove an esper though for Black Waltz.

8.) Not too harsh at all my dude, I like my feedback honest and honestly nothing here nor the RH.net review was harsh in any stretch of the imagination. And thanks again for being so thorough with this stuff.

In other news, v2.0 is still being worked on but is seriously really getting there now, at least all the main code stuff that was needed Madsiur finished up and is good to go. Now James White is going to redo probably every ripped monster sprite that was in the hack (there's a lot of 'em) and do his own sprite instead, I'd imagine this might take a couple or few weeks but he's making excellent progress. Besides that, just some more testing and maybe after reading your points a tad more work there, and it'll be ready. :)

--

July 28, 2018 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Webbhead08

:P

July 29, 2018 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

we managed to input a lot in this update, there are still a lot of things we wanted to add and do but for now enough is enough, we didn't want to literally kill ourselves

with the exception  of 2 or 3 little tweaks we are just about wrapping it up

unfortunately the things for the next update are gonna have to wait 

--

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

August 11, 2018 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.