Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > Ideas & Requests

Retrogamer

Madsiur at December 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Why ROTDS is not on Insane Difficulty is for two reasons: First, Gi Nattak never asked to get a sub-forum there or got an offer and second ROTDS was not initially by definition a difficulty hack, althought it became one. Unless I'm mistaken, ID host difficulty hack like FF7:Hard Type, FFVI Dancing Mad and FF9:Unleashed.

Considering its the most in depth and elegant hack I have EVER played, I think he'd easily get it there.

December 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Madsiur
Administrator

Quote Retrogamer:

"Considering its the most in depth and elegant hack I have EVER played, I think he'd easily get it there."

In some aspects like custom music, custom events and sprites work ROTDS beats everything that has been done so far but some hack are superior in battle mechanics changes and rebalance such as BNW. Other hacks focus on core changes and bugfixes such as Pandora's Box while keeping the original flavour of the game and having unique additions.

I'm not saying one hack is better than the other but they all have their particular forces and focus on different things. All three mentionned should have a spot on every hacking or mod sites.

--

December 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim820

Excuse me,  Madsiur

"Battle mechanics changes & rebalance(s)" does make things more interesting (I think ROtDS has that implemented)-- I am curious what is  this "BNW"? 

And also, what does "core change(s)" mean?  Does that mean that the whole story of a game is changed?  

Yeah, "core changes" seems like there are so much of changes to the main... 

I think ROtDS has a bit of everthing between "BNW" and "Pandora's Box"--  yeah, I am certainly awaiting with anticipation for "ROtDS".

Thanks,

In the mean-time, I'll check out BNW and Pandora's Box.

December 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Madsiur
Administrator

Quote Tim820:

""Battle mechanics changes & rebalance(s)" does make things more interesting (I think ROtDS has that implemented)"

I believe ROTDS has very few battle mechanic changes. As for rebalance, as Lockirby stated, there are various way to achieve it and from what I heard ROTDS achieve it in its own way but without touching things like damage formulas.

Quote Tim820:

"And also, what does "core change(s)" mean?"

I think game core changes is a more appropriate term. Pandora's box has as examples,a better RGN system, the  addition of an extra element (Dark element), a font selector, extra event commands (which ROTDS has also). Things that require changes to some important aspect of the code and tackling less the data (events, sprites, music, various stats).

I'm not saying one kind of hack is better than the other, but that they different in their own way, and everyone has different preferences depending of their perspective (coder, spriter, player, tester).

--

December 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Well said sir. =)

--

December 17, 2013 at 2:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bahamut ZERO

Player-controlled colissium fighting would be boss. :D

--

"Return of the Dark Sorcerer" without quotes makes for a helluva good seed for Minecraft PS3 Edition. 

- 2 Villages, 2 Desert Temples, some jaw dropping terrain, and plenty of ravines. -

January 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

I think Hatzen made a patch for that, that could be apllied to this hack. I personally like to watch the characters do random shit lol.

--

February 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Justin

Lol, I just noticed something; on this websites homepage, you've listed "Natural Stat Growth" twice under "features".

June 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

thanks ^_^

--

June 26, 2014 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ff super fan

u play as the the monsters

July 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ff super fan

or a dbz charters

July 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

ff super fan please don't spat out random requests like that, we are set on characters and the like, so please be more thorough and give us a good reason

--

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

July 31, 2014 at 1:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bahamut ZERO

I'd love to see a sound test menu, what with the staggering amount of tunes in this game that have burned their melodies into my brain for all eternity.

Or perhaps a micro hack to coincide with the release of ROTDS 1.0 that's just a sound test of the different music, maybe a few basic graphical bells and whistles, kind of like the Chrono Trigger BGM Test Rom that's floating around on the web,  It would be probably be next to impossiblle to cram a sound test into ROTDS itself now that I think about it, what with so much already put into it and the coding it would take to add such a thing. But a micro-hack sound test - yeah, I would "play" the hell out of that. 

--

"Return of the Dark Sorcerer" without quotes makes for a helluva good seed for Minecraft PS3 Edition. 

- 2 Villages, 2 Desert Temples, some jaw dropping terrain, and plenty of ravines. -

July 31, 2014 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bahamut ZERO

thought up a couple more things but can't reedit my first post atm.

1: It would be kind of cool to see the party's sprites in the menu, in the lower left corner of their character portrait  to show what status effects you're inflicted with. Probably would end up being problematic, and isn't one of those "oh god I need this now. NOW!" features but still, would be kind of cool to see.

2: HEEERE PIGGY PIGGY!!! *Ahem* It would be great to see your characters sprites be pigs both inside AND outside of battle when inflicted with Pig status. I mean, the unintentional hilarity you could get out  of some cutscenes would be priceless. Plus it wouldn't feel like your characters are Were-Pigs when you forget you're a pig and a fight starts haha.

--

July 31, 2014 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

the music menu is something that his been given a lot of thought for a long time and we really want to do it, but we need to make sure everything is done and perfect, add all the finishing touches and make sure there is enough room, we can pretty much take care of that 

as for the other two I find them quite interesting because (as a teaser for my hack) when my chars will have the imp status they'll be imps on the map lol, but the suggestion about the chars in the menu is a really cool idea, I'm really not sure how to go about doing that at all myself but I'm sure if Mike wants to do it and can find a way then I don't see why not lol,

--

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

August 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bahamut ZERO

Hell yeah man!  I thought about Pigs on the map thing after messing around the last duengeon with the status on everyone.  My first instant mental image was of Leo having a romantic-esque conversation with a pig hahaha. Great to know your upcoming project will have imps on the map Poco, I'll definately make some funny things happen from when the time comes to test it.

You know, after fighting Raditz back on the Floating Continent, I've been half expecting to run into Broly in  the WoR.  Like Zuriel summons him through a dimensional vortex, or Broly arrives after the world's destroyed, sensing Zuriel's insane power.

Or perhaps Broly thinks Ronan is Kakarot and starts hunting your party down, until he finds your party and beats the holy living shit out of them. Then, while everyones on the ground in a limp pile, he could demand "Kakarot" (Ronan) face him at the summit of Death Mountain where the actual fight would take place. This bit could take place after getting Avalon back and going through the Spellbound Castle, like he delivers the ass kicking after the fight with Shenron or something.

OKay, I'm sort of grasping at straws at where it would make sense for to be a decent suggestion, but hey, you can  never have too many random super bosses to pit your best team against.

--

August 1, 2014 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KillerKadoogan

Who does the music? I know some songs are from different games, but they're different verrsions. Do you guys have someone do them or do you pick them up here and there?

I'm wondering because a music menu, I think would be a killer idea. I listen to game soundtracks all the time and would love to have access to some of these tracks. I heard the Castlevania SOTN song on the front page and almost shit myself with glee haha

--

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

August 2, 2014 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

Nattak creates the music in the hack

--

-HNIC

August 2, 2014 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KillerKadoogan

Nice. Well he does excellent work and has good taste haha. Makes me even more excited for a full release. Keep up the good work guys! :)

--

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

August 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bahamut ZERO

Some sort of checklist/bulletin board in the arena that can show you what items can be turned into what by betting them. Example: Pod Bracelet = ???? until you bet one and win the fight, then it would say Pod Bracelet = Cat's Bell. It would beat using one's memory or pancil & paper haha.

Also, it would be cool as hell if some or a good bit of the spell-casting oriented gear could speed your casting rate by varying percentages that could stack. Like a piece of early game mage gear could have a 3% boost ( like a hat or diffusal rod), wheras something more high end or rare (Magus Rod for example) could be 15%. I've noticed more than a couple of my characters  can crack out flares faster than the mage characters kike Aurora and Eiko at the endgame, so slightly faster spell casting through gear would remedy that, AND make them more kickass.

--

August 9, 2014 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.