Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > Ideas & Requests

Exalt

An in-game bestiary like in FF 1 Dawn of Souls on GBA.

--

"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

November 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

that would be cool, if we can do it we'll do it, but that would be something for the backburner once the hack is actually complete 

--

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

January 20, 2015 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

That is waaay beyond anything I could ever hope to do lol, you Poco? Many of these requests are really cool but sadly out of the realm of possibility without taking the time to really learn and study both assembly and the coding of the game. I shudder at the thought lol.

--

January 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven

Maybe silence before you enter Evonne's Tomb for the first time to build atmosphere?

January 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Steven at January 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Maybe silence before you enter Evonne's Tomb for the first time to build atmosphere?

ooo, nice. Yes I can imagine that being a nice touch.

--

January 25, 2015 at 6:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

yeah thats a good idea

--

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

January 27, 2015 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven

Bug report:If you enter and exit the magic menu after selecting a spell with the zohar shard equipped and back out because you changed your mind about the first spell while sepheroth is using omnislash on the party, the attacks don't contenue and the game freezes.  

Actually I don't know, it might be entering and exiting the magic or item menu in general since it seems like the enemy ques(?quaues?how do you spell that?) for what I assume are supposed to be 4 seperate attacks. Hopefully this can be added to the roster of things to be looked at for the update because I was psyced for that final battle with Zuriel.  I don't know it just feels less epic using save states for something like this but I guess for now at least I'll save state before the third teir next time I play, by the way (probably should've asked this first) is this a known bug?

February 11, 2015 at 9:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

thank you for the report but this thread is about ideas for the hack, not bug reports, so this has to be somewhere else

as for the issue this is the first I've heard of it, we'll look into it thanks

--

-HNIC

February 11, 2015 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ff super fan

FFVI Last Hope: All*Stars bring back all part to donwload for people that never play 1st time around those rom are kool

February 23, 2015 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

first off this area is to suggest ideas and requests for the hack not for u to ask for an old version of the hack

second it was made very clear a long time ago that Nattak does not want anyone to play that old version of the hack because it has nothing to do with what it is now, so please leave it at that

--

-HNIC

February 23, 2015 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven

Hmm... I've given this a lot of thought since my last playthrough and although it would take a lot of effort, so much effort has been put into this hack already that I think including this would bring this FF6 hack to another level entirely. (along with dialogue changes to parts of the game that are still the same and don't fit with the current narrative that I'm sure just haven't been made yet) Wait for it...

Character specific spells. Now hear me out on this, while having selective spells may at first seem limiting, it's actually the main selling point of Brave New World. (at least for me) BNW however was limited in their implementation of limiting spells because their purpose was to try and balance the game more. I personally think they went a bit overboard with balancing the game to the point where it felt stale. Through trying to balance the game they ended up losing alot of the passion the original had. This hack keeps that passion intact and adds it's own special flavor to it with it's own ideas. I think, implemented right, having character specific spells could enhance that feeling of uniqueness that I feel this hack is trying to exude. If spells were instead selected for characters based on

gameplay'convenience for the player. (first and foremost because fun IS the primary factor so it's always the most important) example:Cure spells available for almost everyone (if not everyone) because being stuck with healing items is no fun (primary factor, and again, I feel BNW forgot this and if you guys do take this suggestion to heart I don't want this game to forget it too)

character traits/personality/Serin learns all the fire stuff. Similar to Edgar, Serin is a ladys man with a burning hot passion for the ladies (among other things) and debatably, life in general. It would make sense for him to have a bunch of fire spells (if not all of them) also, don't forget, color scheme says ALOT about your character so making him red and black lends the player to assume that fire would be one of his natural elements, also I just think it would look (and be) so fucking cool.

And other things I'm probably forgetting but as long as it's implanted with balance in mind as a secondary priority and not a first (first being "if a change is made is it still fun?") then I think it would also help with a current balancing issue I've noticed in this hack that also existed in vanilla. In the end game (if you level and spell grind like I do), you're playing as ultima factories instead of individual characters. Only instead of ultima this time around, it's meteo. But the same problem still exists. It's just my opinion but I feel that character specific spells could add another degree of separation between characters in the end game (since the story comes to a grinding halt in the WOR) that's lacking in most other regards.

Yes doing the whole esper select thing would take a whole lot of effort but the reason I even consider bringing it up is the fact that it's been done before and when I was playing through the last time I just had the thought of that feature in this game, (but implemnted in a way that is more fun centered and less fun sucking/strict and rigid like... that other hack.) And you could even ask the guy who made BNW to help with the base code if he'd be willing. I just like this hack so much and I want to see it change, grow, and mature into everything it can be (given the limited medium it's built off of). It's fun, challenging and I think it would be even better if we DIDN'T have the option to turn any developed character into ultima factory # 6 or 7. There was a video that game theory did that mentioned a principle in game design about this but I couldn't find it so yeah... It was something like "if a player is given a ridiculously over powered option, even if it doesn't make sense to do so in the current situation they will always choose that option". I don't know how to close this off, it's a long winded suggestion anyway and I thank you for even reading this far. Keep on making this hack more awesome, I'll still play it!

April 28, 2015 at 11:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ThisIsntNotMetal

yeah if you guys could nerf the eneimes at tyrano tower that would great :P lol

May 1, 2015 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Good suggestion, Steven. I'm thinking after v1.3 I can work on a side-patch that does the whole character specific spells, for those who wish to play that way. Seems like a cool alternate to have included with the hack for sure and wouldn't take long to do, thanks to Synschi releasing a patch and his notes on it for BNW.

--

May 2, 2015 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ThisIsntNotMetal

Gi Nattak at May 2, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Good suggestion, Steven. I'm thinking after v1.3 I can work on a side-patch that does the whole character specific spells, for those who wish to play that way. Seems like a cool alternate to have included with the hack for sure and wouldn't take long to do, thanks to Synschi releasing a patch and his notes on it for BNW.

is there a way to effecticely get through tyrano tower without getting rekt by enemies there? i used EVERYTHING from mighty guard to golem and the ones on the upper half keep kicking my ass: my party consists of Serin,FuSoYa,Eiko,Otis

May 4, 2015 at 12:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Steven at February 11, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Bug report:If you enter and exit the magic menu after selecting a spell with the zohar shard equipped and back out because you changed your mind about the first spell while sepheroth is using omnislash on the party, the attacks don't contenue and the game freezes.  

Actually I don't know, it might be entering and exiting the magic or item menu in general since it seems like the enemy ques(?quaues?how do you spell that?) for what I assume are supposed to be 4 seperate attacks. Hopefully this can be added to the roster of things to be looked at for the update because I was psyced for that final battle with Zuriel.  I don't know it just feels less epic using save states for something like this but I guess for now at least I'll save state before the third teir next time I play, by the way (probably should've asked this first) is this a known bug?

Just saw this, I had it freeze on me as well there once while testing that final battle, and it was when he used Omnislash. But I couldn't get it to do it again. This helps a lot to know it's probably something with the magic menu, I'll check into this, thanks!

--

May 9, 2015 at 5:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

More about this, I looked at the space his code requires and I do not have enough space in my C3 bank for it =X

It would have to be moved, and I'm not sure if that's a possability  with this patch, but I'll ask.

--

May 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Dummy

A couple of ideas I had, although so far I've only played version 1.0.0 of the Mod, I did try to keep up with the change log.

I feel like there needs to be a mid game healing item for WoR, as that's when Pizzas only healing 250HP doesn't do much in battle. I would've suggested replacing pancakes with something that heals 1000HP, but I saw that you already put a relic in it's place. Another thing you could do is make healing items heal by percent of health like Brave New World, maybe 10 or 20% heal from cheeseburgers depending on whether you want them to be out of battle mass cheap heals, or be useful in battle. And pizzas would probably be good at either 25 or 50% depending on the kind of balance you're going for on items.

I would like it if some of the more useless Lore spells were changed. Spells like 1000 needles, self-destruct, transfusion and roulette may be good spells for enemies, but there is almost no reason to use them myself outside of just messing around. I think enemy spells like Poison bomb and Rock slide would be of more use (Or at least something that can do earth damage that doesn't miss like Stone does.)

I think I would like Ekio way more if she could have a full summon selection like Rydia from FF4 or a summoner from FF5, instead of being limited to one at a time. If this means something else would have to be removed to make room for it, I would be in favor of removing Rages since only a guest character gets it anyway, but that's a pretty big change and would probably take a lot of recoding, it's ultimatly up to you.

I know the Shadow is having some equipment changes, but I thought I'd mention anyway that I would like it if he got a special weapon for him, like Shadow claws or something. I know about his other equipment (Dream shield, Nightvision, Enigma plate and the 2 relics.) so all he is (or was I don't know) missing is a weapon.

I saw something about a Meteo rework, but I don't know what that exactly means so I will state my idea anyway. Ultima and Meteo are almost the same, so could you make Meteo more like the FF5 one that does 4 seperate hits? I think this would balance this out for bosses that use this late game by making it able to kill off 1 or 2 party member instead of a chance of killing everyone, as well as making it the more powerful spell to use on single targets. I don't think it should really do more then 20000 damage total, maybe 24000 with really high magic.( for referance, Cloud can easily do four hits of 9999 damage with Omnislash v2. So I don't think 4 hits of 5000~ is too much of a stretch.)

Lastly, this would also take some coding work, and I don't know if it's actually possible, but It would be really nice if for the Final boss, when all 4 party members fall it would just switch to the next 4 instead of giving a game over even though it lets you assemble a team of 12 that doesn't do anything.

Edit: Oh, and I saw some of the discussion for Otis's Cannon, and I think it's good for piercing damage, mabye increase the damage scaling to 60 per level instead of 40 per level if it seems useless later on.

May 11, 2015 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven

Gi Nattak at May 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM

More about this, I looked at the space his code requires and I do not have enough space in my C3 bank for it =X

It would have to be moved, and I'm not sure if that's a possability  with this patch, but I'll ask.

First off, neat-o!

Second, not so neat-o, but then again, if you're planning to release the hack with spells for certain characters as an alternate update you could always muck around in the code in a backup file (so if you mess something up, the original is completely untainted). Also, (if you haven't already) you could always also ask how the guy who coded that part of BNW organized the space he had so he could include that feature in. Or heck there might even be a way to expand the C-3 bank if other pieces of data are removed, (maybe unrelated because I don't know how coding for a rom works but there are a lot of unnecessary legendary swords that never get used that're ripe for replacing with something more unique) hopefully it can be done. Will, way, and all that jazz.

May 11, 2015 at 10:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven

A Dummy at May 11, 2015 at 5:18 PM

A couple of ideas I had, although so far I've only played version 1.0.0 of the Mod, I did try to keep up with the change log.

I feel like there needs to be a mid game healing item for WoR, as that's when Pizzas only healing 250HP doesn't do much in battle. I would've suggested replacing pancakes with something that heals 1000HP, but I saw that you already put a relic in it's place. Another thing you could do is make healing items heal by percent of health like Brave New World, maybe 10 or 20% heal from cheeseburgers depending on whether you want them to be out of battle mass cheap heals, or be useful in battle. And pizzas would probably be good at either 25 or 50% depending on the kind of balance you're going for on items.

I would like it if some of the more useless Lore spells were changed. Spells like 1000 needles, self-destruct, transfusion and roulette may be good spells for enemies, but there is almost no reason to use them myself outside of just messing around. I think enemy spells like Poison bomb and Rock slide would be of more use (Or at least something that can do earth damage that doesn't miss like Stone does.)

I think I would like Ekio way more if she could have a full summon selection like Rydia from FF4 or a summoner from FF5, instead of being limited to one at a time. If this means something else would have to be removed to make room for it, I would be in favor of removing Rages since only a guest character gets it anyway, but that's a pretty big change and would probably take a lot of recoding, it's ultimatly up to you.

I know the Shadow is having some equipment changes, but I thought I'd mention anyway that I would like it if he got a special weapon for him, like Shadow claws or something. I know about his other equipment (Dream shield, Nightvision, Enigma plate and the 2 relics.) so all he is (or was I don't know) missing is a weapon.

I saw something about a Meteo rework, but I don't know what that exactly means so I will state my idea anyway. Ultima and Meteo are almost the same, so could you make Meteo more like the FF5 one that does 4 seperate hits? I think this would balance this out for bosses that use this late game by making it able to kill off 1 or 2 party member instead of a chance of killing everyone, as well as making it the more powerful spell to use on single targets. I don't think it should really do more then 20000 damage total, maybe 24000 with really high magic.( for referance, Cloud can easily do four hits of 9999 damage with Omnislash v2. So I don't think 4 hits of 5000~ is too much of a stretch.)

Lastly, this would also take some coding work, and I don't know if it's actually possible, but It would be really nice if for the Final boss, when all 4 party members fall it would just switch to the next 4 instead of giving a game over even though it lets you assemble a team of 12 that doesn't do anything.

Edit: Oh, and I saw some of the discussion for Otis's Cannon, and I think it's good for piercing damage, mabye increase the damage scaling to 60 per level instead of 40 per level if it seems useless later on.

Well... I have a lot of time, nothing to do right now and your comment intrigues me. So even though I don't work on the hack I figure I could give my two cents on your two cents 'cause some of these ideas are golden and I want the moderators to see that you aren't the only one thinking about some of them.

1.Eh, I don't know, I always thought that once you got to ramuh and got your first cure magicite all the hp healing items became useless (except for the one that recovers all hp), and now that it looks like Oboro and Otis are going to be able to use magic in this or the next update, it would completely negate the need for an intermittent item stronger than pizza (though I do wish pancakes recovered more than pizza because I always felt a little helpless in zozo if I didn't bring Tifa along, ever since I played Pony Fantasy 6 I've always had to remind myself that in other hacks, the item placed between tonic and potion is back to how much it recovered in the vanilla formula (frowny face)).

2.I agree, some spells like stone should be replaced to make lore a more tantalizing command. The same treatment should go for dance too IMO. Locke2kirby or whatever he calls himself (the guy with the New Kirk icon) had a good Idea for dance and power incrementation and I think the same thing could be done for lore, eventually I hope that will be done for them both (fingers crossed).

3.It's up to the guy in charge but I'm guessing he'd say no (if the in-game beastery suggestion was any indication), it seems like a change that's too massive for too little reward anyway, that and I think it would severely over power Eiko as a character. I hope this suggestion doesn't end up being taken to heart.

4.I second this notion! There are already plenty of useless legendary swords like Eternity that never get used because there's like 50 other stronger ones (like Apocalypse or Destiny) while their item slot could be used instead for something awesome like this.

5.It's probably a good idea to play the most recent iteration of a hack before commenting on it's development, change logs can only tell you so much and it's easier to miss something in a wall of text as opposed to playing and experiencing the changes for yourself. Meteo already hits 4 times, it's why (I think anyways) it's the most powerful spell in the game now.

6.I wish! I think it won't happen but I wish it would. It would make this THE go to hack for final fantasy 6 fans everywhere if these guys could pull it off. I can't believe I hadn't thought to ask this myself yet, It's so friggin' obvious how much of an improvement this would be!

7.Maybe, I actually don't use cannon that much so I wouldn't care either way (maybe an indication that it needs to be changed).

May 11, 2015 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Dummy

Eh true enough, I mostly brought up making healing items better beacuase I would use Otis and Oboro as item users since they didn't get magic, or also as out of battle healing to save MP when I didn't have much to spare (I can't help but laugh when I'm making my guys eat 20+ pizzas in 5 seconds).

I guess I just kinda miss having a designated summoner. In Final Fantasy 6, summons are probably one of my least used abilities, it took this hack's high difficulty to even get me to experiment with them at all. But yeah, I guess being able to put Blink, Vanish, and Reflect on the whole party in 3 easy turns whenever I need to would be rather OP.

The main reason I haven't played the later versions yet is because they seemed to mostly consist of rebalencing and bug fixes, and well quite frankly I'm juggling 3 other RPGs right now (Almost done with Kingdom Hearts 2 HD). Although 1.3 is looking like it's changing a lot so I will definitely play it once I'm done playing through Brave New World.

Maybe also, with Dance, it could be made like how Brave New World approached it where each Dance is filling a specific role as opposed to being different elemental attacks, like one is more about healing, another is physical damage and another is magic damage. The idea of it getting more powerful as you progress also looks like it could work good as well.

May 12, 2015 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.