Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > Ideas & Requests

Steven

A Dummy at May 12, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Eh true enough, I mostly brought up making healing items better beacuase I would use Otis and Oboro as item users since they didn't get magic, or also as out of battle healing to save MP when I didn't have much to spare (I can't help but laugh when I'm making my guys eat 20+ pizzas in 5 seconds).

I guess I just kinda miss having a designated summoner. In Final Fantasy 6, summons are probably one of my least used abilities, it took this hack's high difficulty to even get me to experiment with them at all. But yeah, I guess being able to put Blink, Vanish, and Reflect on the whole party in 3 easy turns whenever I need to would be rather OP.

The main reason I haven't played the later versions yet is because they seemed to mostly consist of rebalencing and bug fixes, and well quite frankly I'm juggling 3 other RPGs right now (Almost done with Kingdom Hearts 2 HD). Although 1.3 is looking like it's changing a lot so I will definitely play it once I'm done playing through Brave New World.

Maybe also, with Dance, it could be made like how Brave New World approached it where each Dance is filling a specific role as opposed to being different elemental attacks, like one is more about healing, another is physical damage and another is magic damage. The idea of it getting more powerful as you progress also looks like it could work good as well.

1.lol! They'd Explode from that much Pizza! I guess I never had the problem of running out of mp once lemonade became available for sale, because that's where alot of my hard earned gil would go.

2.Yeah, ff5 did have a leg up on 6 in the summoning department (though in that game summoning was pretty OP too, I used to customize my party as freelancers and one was always white magic and summon (black magic got left completely by the way side)). It took me playing pony fantasy 6 to FINALLY experiment with all of the summons (Celestia's summon command y'know?) and ever since then I've been HOOKED on the esper that makes the whole party jump (as you can get pretty abusive with it).

3.That makes sense, this hack is good but it's still based on the template of a game that both of us have probably played to death (I know I have), if you can get it, new stuff is good once and a while. Also, I'm jealous... I want to play Kingdom hearts 2 SO bad...

4.Actually, I think this idea's a better one than the one Lockirby2 suggested because most of the dances would still be useful by the end game and with the other guys idea (scaling power for dances) there's really only one dance you can't learn until you get to the WOR so that really limits the options for scaling. To bring Mog up to snuff with everyone else I think (in addition to your suggestion being taken into account) Mog's trip rate would have to be reduced, or eliminated all together (maybe it was, I only used Mog once or twice in .1, so I don't know if it was changed in .2). Especially since there are so many characters with much more powerful abilities in this hack.

If a mod or someone working on the hack is reading this, make Mog stronger! You know, when you have the time...

May 15, 2015 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Actually, it's not too difficult I think to tie Dances to different backgrounds.  With that in mind, you could have four Dances that are WoB exclusive and four that are WoR exclusive.  BNW's Dances only work so well because BNW scales a lot more slowly than ROTDS, and balancing them was still a challenge.  It's impractical to have any form of offensive Dance (or maybe even healing Dance) in ROTDS that will cover the whole game, so "most of the Dances would still be useful by endgame" is probably wishful thinking.  The only way that I can see to make it so that Dances will each cover a specific niche like in BNW is to make them heavily versatility based, which is what they are right now.  BNW's formula is unlikely to work so well here without rebalancing the entire game around it.

--

I wish I was eating chocolate right now.

May 22, 2015 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ff super fan

Final Fantasy VI Hack - Play as Leo, Kefka, Ghost or Imperial Soldier

June 16, 2015 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Heisenberg89

thats a stupid thing to post in the ideas/requests of the ROTDS hack, this hack has a playable ghost, what ur asking also is not possible at present only 2 npcs can be added as pcs

--

Your godamn right!

June 16, 2015 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ff super fan

i mean like a event that that a ghost  join u or kefka join u as a trick of been good but it a lie to make the game be more deep in story for next game update maybe or just to see bad guy point of the in view

June 19, 2015 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

flarenial

I haven't read through everything, so apologies if something similar is already here.

Since there are so many Chrono Trigger references, I thought it would be neat if you could put in a crossover battle similar to the culex fight in SMRPG.  Some kind of event/door/gate you go through to fight crono and/or some of the other chrono trigger characters

--

July 16, 2016 at 4:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

the problem with that is that we are already at full capacity with fights/monsters sprites/fomations, and then we also need more event and dialog space, we are finding a way to add some but we already have things planned that are with the main story

--

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

July 29, 2016 at 8:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

break

Hmm, I really enjoyed the Pokemon "Staryu" battle...a lot !!

I would love to see more Pokemon enemies/boss battles in future patches. 

* Also a few Pokemon Go joke from Prof.Oak *

But man...you have a team of awesome sprite creators !!

I would love to see more Legendary Pokemon boss sprites...maybe a few more battles where you fight a team of them...or even some that are colosseum only fights. 

Maybe even a "Master Ball" item that allows you to win any battle ?

Rather a Pokeball "Throw Command" item that insta-kills/x-zones a enemy. 

The battle themes are fantastic !

Is it possible to add any songs from the game "Undertale" or "Ori and the Blind Forest" ?

--

Pokemon Red 3DS-XL friend code : 1864-9639-1699 (Zeheart)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/breaktube

http://www.youtube.com/user/breaktube

August 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Theghoul

I'd like to see the ability to have some varied boss fights in different modes if that would be possible. Insane having access to all the super boss fights but not able to fight them all in normal prehaps. I would like to see additional boss fights, maybe a Super Mario RPG reference fight against Geno or something. Also, more weapons for each character to be there "super weapon"

I would also like the Live-A-Live battle music to be the main battle music but that's just a personal preference.

October 5, 2016 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Which Live-A-Live battle music are you referencing, there's different ones for each chapter heh. Great game btw, Live-A-Live.

--

October 8, 2016 at 1:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Theghoul

The megalomania I think it is. The one when you get the 3rd character and have to leave the castle. Once of my favorite tracks of all time.

Live-A-Live is one of my favorite SNES JRPGS criminally underrated, that would be a great romhack to see next xD

October 9, 2016 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blandation

Finally upgraded to the newest version after usng 1.2 for so long, lol.

Wanted to ask, at some point in time was the music in Darryl's Tomb intentionally altered?  I think it sounded much better in it's original state. The instruments now sound a bit more obnoxious   Do you have a dump of most of the music somewhere?  I'd love to put some of those tracks on my iPod if you wouldn't mind.

Also the WoR world map theme change = amazing.  Terranigma had some good music.

--

twitch.tv/blandation

November 15, 2016 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

HI there Blandation! Very glad to hear you've updated. Another large update is on the way yet, should be soon so be on the lookout for that. I'll look into the song played in Darryl's Tomb, I do remember tweaking it more than a few times, as was with most of them at some point or another, definitly since 1.2. I'll find an old ROM and see about the difference.

The only dump of the music is in SPC format, and can be found here: http://www.ff6hacking.com/Patches/RotDS_OST_SPC_Package.zip
Which can in-turn be converted to WAV/MP3. It is kinda tricky to set that up you need a certain version of Winamp and a plugin, but it's not too bad there's tutorials on Youtube. There might be other options as well.

I at one point did have all the songs converted to MP3 on my computer here, but went on to touch up pretty much all of them and replace & add lots, so yeah... I can think about doing that again but it took forever, and now with 250 about songs to convert. 

Glad you like it! I think it sounds good with the wind track included, keeping a bit of that WoR feeling. It does have a great soundtrack, one of the best.

Edit: Ah I'm pretty sure it was that I changed the Flute, the one in previous versions was using the Yoshi's Island Flute I hacked in that some songs use, and I think I listened to the original song there and thought it sounded closer with the normal FF6 Flute. I'll check it with the Yoshi's Island one and then make a choice.

Edit 2: Wow somehow I totally replaced the Yoshi's Island flute with the FF6 original, which I already have elsewhere... It will be back! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

--

November 17, 2016 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Blandation

Thanks!!   The zip is perfect, I actually still use winamp on my desktop when listening to a lot of VG music and have a plugin that can convert them.

--

twitch.tv/blandation

November 19, 2016 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

break

Oh cool, so we are getting more/updated music in version 1.7 ?

Would love to have some tunes from the new Pokemon Sun/Moon  ^_^" 

Those songs are stuck in my head !!

Anyhow, very excited to see what new changes v1.7 will bring...will check back montly for updates.

--

Pokemon Red 3DS-XL friend code : 1864-9639-1699 (Zeheart)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/breaktube

http://www.youtube.com/user/breaktube

November 28, 2016 at 12:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ff super fan

i have a idea make season/ holladay patch summer winter fall ect  hollween xmas 4 of july ect

November 28, 2016 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Mad Titan

Hey there!

I really love the re-imagining of other games' music using FF6's sound font. I especially appreciate the love given to the SaGa series, Treasures of the Rudras and Bahamut Lagoon. I love those games and it will always be a shame most of them were never localized in english.

The mashup between FF4's main theme and DQ1's theme is especially well done!

Now for my suggestion, I know FFXV is a love it or hate it game, but one thing I believe we can all agree on is that the music is amazing. Cleigne battle theme is especially good, if not one of my favorite theme from the game. It would be amazing to see how it sounds in FF6 :)

Thanks for reading.

January 17, 2017 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the songs. :)
It is a shame these games weren't localized, I woulda bought the hell out of them back in the day that's for sure. It's been quite a lot of fun bringing the music over from them. When this became possible it was a dream come true, picking and choosing songs for a custom soundtrack.

I am a HUGE Yoko Shimomura fan, she is amazing and I love what she's done for XV's soundtrack. I was super stoaked to learn she was to be the composer and it was going to be a big selling point for me actually... before I saw the game in action lol... So instead I just rock the OST. The way I go about the song hacking, I'd need a pre-existing midi of the song from somewhere, and then hopefully be able to work with it to do the process of getting it into the game, and I don't believe there's much in terms of XV midis floating around yet sadly. The other more realistic option would be for me to ask Jackimus, the second half of the 'music hacking team' if he'd be willing to do it - he can create & transcribe midis extremely well (being a real musician) and would be able to do some incredible version of the song I'm sure... but he's a busy guy and we're both a bit burned out still from all the song hacking advents these last couple years lol. At some point though we will hopefully get back to working on bettering and probably swapping in some other songs, so I'll definitely keep it in mind for a future one.

Thanks for the suggestion!

--

January 17, 2017 at 4:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ThisIsntNotMetal

Gi Nattak at January 17, 2017 at 4:45 AM

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the songs. :)
It is a shame these games weren't localized, I woulda bought the hell out of them back in the day that's for sure. It's been quite a lot of fun bringing the music over from them. When this became possible it was a dream come true, picking and choosing songs for a custom soundtrack.

I am a HUGE Yoko Shimomura fan, she is amazing and I love what she's done for XV's soundtrack. I was super stoaked to learn she was to be the composer and it was going to be a big selling point for me actually... before I saw the game in action lol... So instead I just rock the OST. The way I go about the song hacking, I'd need a pre-existing midi of the song from somewhere, and then hopefully be able to work with it to do the process of getting it into the game, and I don't believe there's much in terms of XV midis floating around yet sadly. The other more realistic option would be for me to ask Jackimus, the second half of the 'music hacking team' if he'd be willing to do it - he can create & transcribe midis extremely well (being a real musician) and would be able to do some incredible version of the song I'm sure... but he's a busy guy and we're both a bit burned out still from all the song hacking advents these last couple years lol. At some point though we will hopefully get back to working on bettering and probably swapping in some other songs, so I'll definitely keep it in mind for a future one.

Thanks for the suggestion!

hey gi nattak i hae a channel dedicated to the romhack at a discord server https://discord.gg/bkxCbjc

January 21, 2017 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Good looking out man! Thanks.

--

January 23, 2017 at 2:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.