Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > Walkthrough

RaikouGilgamesh

Lockirby2 at February 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Man'O War uses Flare Star.  It does damage based on enemy level, and there are a lot of high levelled enemies in this hack, so it kicks butt.

Werebeast, Fallen, Karkass,  UltDemon:  Nova (Bolt 3)

Boo Ghost, Veteran:  M-tek Missile

Panther:  Catscratch; Gt Behemoth:  Hay Maker

Demon Lord:  Void

Sleepysaur, Needlehog, Defender:  Step Mine  -> It does damage based around the steps you have taken, so walk around a town with the fast forward command on for 5 minutes and it will probably do 9999 damage.

Mushroom, Bserk Tree, Toadstool, Doomcloud:  Quake

Mimic Box:  Meteor

Omnigear:  Curaga

Medusa Head,  Didalos:  Merton

B.  Poyozo, P. Poyozo, Tatori:  Giga Volt

Firelord, Ethereal:  Flare

Sinner, Nightblade:  Holy

Beastbear:  Reraise

Hydra:  Surge

Sr.  Behemoth, Twinhead:  Molten

Vectaur:  White Wind

ThundrMage, Undying:  Aero

Tektite:  Big Guard

Harlet:  Love Token ->  Causes the enemy to defend Shadow from physical attacks.

Chaos Drgn:  Dark Force

Lynx:  Hail

Tonberries:  Knife (I don't think you can use this)

This is just a list that I made using the editor, so Shadow may not get all of these rages for use.  Some of these are winners for sure, though.

Well, well... It looks like there are some that could be worth using for sure, then. Especially Mr. Man'O'War. Beastbear might be alright, if you don't have ReRaise learned on anyone. I don't see Harlet being too useful, what with most bosses being magic heavy... and most bosses being alone. So I don't think they'd cover themselves from their own attack... right? But yeah, like with Gau, it'd be better if you could somehow get Shadow earlier, to better utilize his possibility for spells and abilities you can't use yet.

--

February 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

They actually will attack themselves.  They can't counter their own attacks (Zuriel could kill himself very quickly if that were the case), but they can counterattack other parts of a boss if that part hits them while they're defending Shadow.  Some of the lategame bosses tend to chain quite a few physical attacks in a row, so they'll hit themselves for quite a bit of damage.  This setup is really limited by Shadow's cruddy magical defenses, but it probably has a few uses.

--

I wish I was eating chocolate right now.

February 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Roxas123

It has been a while but I'm still having trouble with the Lava Demon Monster on Destiny Islands.

February 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andervann

Has anyone had trouble with the fire dragon?, in the cave where you get cloud, No matter what i do, i can't seem to do any damage to it.

--

Terra...wait for me. I'll be back. And please, don't let a lecherous young king, who shall remain nameless, near you!

February 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

You just have to survive a while before the Red Dragon dies.  After a while he'll lose all of his power and spontaneously die.

As for the Lava Demon, are you using Poison Storm near the start of the battle?  That will cause him to start regening (the regen is actually poison, which he absorbs).  After a while he'll begin to Regen anyways but you can buy yourself some time.  In the first fight, you can also slow him, which will help a lot, but for the second and third you would be forced to expend a Cosmos Ring to slow him, I'm pretty sure, so it's not worth it.  Are you throwing Ice Rods at him?  They're expensive but they're powerful.  You can also try throwing an Aqualin at him when he starts to regen, but I don't think that will work...

--

February 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Roxas123

You can't have Serin for the fight. At the moment I can only buy 2 Ice Rods. Well I'm going to have to grind a lot.

February 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Serin's attack is Poison Nova.  Leo's Magitek skill is Poison Storm.  Unless only Aurora can use that Magitek command. I'm not really sure.

--

February 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Roxas123

Oh I confused the names. Well I need a level grinding place in the WOB right before going onto the Floating Continent.

February 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MetalHatton

For level grinding go to the island where thamasa is. For magic point grinding go to the triamgle island.

February 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MetalHatton

MetalHatton at February 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM

For level grinding go to the island where thamasa is. For magic point grinding go to the triamgle island.

*triangle

February 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

RaikouGilgamesh at February 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Lockirby2 at February 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I think Kaijin was recently renamed to Avalon; he is actually Kaijin in my file as well.  The strength bonuses would be useful for endgame, but to be honest as soon as the WoR came along, his biggest use for me was helping Oak clean the airship, lol.

If you're not using magic with Arc, then there's no reason for magic boosts.  I think Arc casting magic would make more sense than Tifa, despite her natural magic, because he has no special attacks of his own.  I also think (don't quote me on this) that his magic stat starts higher, and he can get better boosts from equipment.

Yeah, I never used him much either. My main party soon consisted of Aurora, Cloud. Golbez, and FuSoYa. Oh, another thing I kinda wish to know... Shadows Rage's. Or whatever their names are in this game... which of them are good to use? To be honest, the sheer number of them you start with just made go "Uhh... yeah. I'm not testing those... fuck that."

Thanks for the list!

April 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Aaaallright, Ladies and Gentlemen! The newest release is out, and so I'm due to start recording any day now, as per my word. But first, I'd like you all to pitch in just a liiiittle bit. I'm having trouble with some bosses (Curse you mecha fight!) so post your boss tips and setup for me, and I'll test them out before each recording. One boss at a time please, in order. This iwll help me, and possibly many others here, out greatly! Thanks in advance!

--

April 23, 2013 at 3:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

These are my strategies:

Anubaraak (that's probably way off the spelling):  Set battle speed to 6 and ATB to Wait.  Set up M-Barrier at the beginning of the fight and heal when necessary.  When he comes out of his shell, have Aurora attack first with the missile, and have Biggs/Wedge wait in the menu during the animation.  Select attacks with Biggs/Wedge and fire off one more missile with Aurora before he returns to his shell.  Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Tritoch:  Set up M-tek Barrier again.  Even if somebody is hurt badly, have Aurora use her missile if you think Biggs/Wedge will get a turn to heal whoever is hurt (he's pretty slow, so this is usually doable).  If somebody dies, remember that Spirit Force revives.

Guard Leader:  Bring in Cloud's team, as this will allow you to de-equip Mog before the fight, and Cloud is more useful than Locke was in vanilla.  have Cloud use full power when there are a few enemies, as he will almost certainly get hit and deal massive damage.  When there are one or two enemies left, switch to Braver so you will constantly be doing damage.  Don't have your thief Moogle attack until you have stolen the Assault Helm from the leader (and possibly the Pizza from the flying guy as well).  Heal every turn with Atla (is that a Dark Cloud reference?).

This battle is easily doable with Mog's Dance as well, or with the all Moogle team (you have two healers because you can Mimic Prayer, but this takes a lot longer)

J. Mecha:  That Sonic Shot may seem very appetizing, but don't use it just yet because I think it provokes a M-Tek Laser counter (possibly two, because it hits both of them).  Put Serin on constant healing duty instead, and finish them with Braver and Shock (use a single target (ST) shock against the one you think has taken the most damage).  Don't heal with Cure, as it has an absurdly long casting time for about the same effect as a Cheeseburger, which is instantaneous.  Cosmic Fang does nothing, so don't bother.

--

April 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

With Anubaraak, I basically did the same thing, except I had one soldier on standby for healing at ALL times. I found that he could often get two hits on Aurora before I could heal if I went all out.

For the Guard battles, I never thought to use Full Power, that's a good strategy. I just used attack one the regular enemies, since his sword seems to have a decent chance of insta kill. Something else you can do is throw the full mog team in, with no expectations of winning, just to steal the assault helm to put on Cloud.

Using just Cheeseburgers, eh? I never thought of that. I always did have Aurora heal with her magic... I'll really have to try this one!

So, one more thing I forgot. Post Narshe fight, you can choose your party of course. Tell me who you normally put in, and why, and I'll try it out too.

--

April 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

The long casting time heavily nerfs healing spells and buffs in this game, more so than attack spells, I find.  It makes the Relic throwing more useful, if you have the money to blow on expensive items.

I haven't been through that segment of the game in a while, but there are a lot of good choices for party selection. Ronan's Fire Dance + Serin's Psycho Blade wipe the floor with most enemy encounters, so they are really good to bring.  You can also bring Cloud and Tifa along to beef them up for the Magitek Facility, and they are kinda useful for ST damage.  Kaijin isn't too worth using, and this is pretty much the only time in the game where I wouldn't recommend bringing Arc, as his defensive skills don't shine yet and his attacking ability is rather low.  It is also cool to put Oboro in your party with the changes that Nattak made, but strategically there isn't much reason to (unless you're playing an LLG, where his scrolls can replace Ronan's Fire Dance).

--

April 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

You can get Shadow in the pub in FF6, just like Oboro. you just need to go there with 3 people, so a lot of people didn't realize you could do it. Anyways, yeah, Kaijin's ability is kinda subpar compared to... pretty much everyone else's.

--

April 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

I knew that you could get Shadow in vanilla, but I think you can keep Oboro through the Opera House segment now, if I'm not mistaken.  Or maybe you can just pick him back up on the Southern Continent for the Magitek facility, I'm not sure how it went again.

--

April 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Saibamen+Raditz:  Saibamen are weak to fire, and Raditz is weak to poison, so make sure Aurora uses Fireball and Virus on their respective targets.  While the Saibaman is still alive, Full Power is a great option, but after that Cloud should heal.  I put the Dwarf Bracer and Atlas Armlet on Serin for the fight beforehand, and the Runningshoes on Aurora to reduce the long casting time.  I gave Cloud the Paladin Icon just in case, as he has over 50 evade with the Kung Fu Suit and Rune Blade, so he's pretty tanky.  If you've got money to spare, buy Paladin Icons in Crystal City; they can cast Protect on you if you use them, which reduces damage from most of his attacks.  Cloud should be the primary healer in this fight, while Serin's weapon of choice is the Sonic Shot.  I think that the Saibaman starts using Shrapnel Blades if you're too high a level, so it might be dangerous to grind too much.

Ultros:  He is weak to Lightning and Fire, but this is a trap!  You don't want to eat his Tentacle counterattacks.  Cosmic Blade incapacitates the accompanying enemies very quickly.  If you are in the back row and use Prayer every turn, you are unlikely to lose.  Use Sonic Shot, Galic Gun and Virus to attack once his buddies are dead.  If you truly feel the urge to use a Super Effective attack, use a Paladin Icon on Ronan and have him throw out Fists of Thunder.  This would be faster, and you would still have little chance of dying.  By the way, equip a Buckler on Ronan.  Combo won't be using his second weapon anyways.

Gilgamesh:  Start in the front row (switch just before you cross the bridge in the second room of Fraust Mines).  His first turn and the turn halfway through the battle might be scary, but most of the battle is minor physical attacks, so Prayer is easily enough.  When he jumps, you can also defend.  Paladin Icons would be a waste here.

--

April 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bahamut ZERO

Another strategy for fighting Tritoch in the beginning is to have one of your team use the poison Magitech on it (don't use it more then twice during the fight, or else he'll go apeshit and counter), then use M-Barrier on everyone. The poison damagae will start off at like 85-200, but will then jump to doing 1000+. And even if Tritoch does the status switching move, just re-Mbarrier adn keep fighting. He should still take damage regardless, and should go down no problem.

April 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Ok, so, I uploaded 6 parts today, 15 minutes each. Check out my channel, RaikouGilgamesh. I brought along a friend, Hal, who is a big fan of FF6, for everyone to see a nice 'initial reaction' from someone who's seen or heard nothing about the changes at all. I actually discovered the poison Tritoch trick during the fight, just by a fluke. It was kinda funny!

--

April 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.