Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > Walkthrough

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

I'm not sure how I feel about you posting this on Youtube yet, as you know it's still somewhat of a closed beta and I don't want people who cannot play it yet to be able to see the game in action like this. I suppose I should have stated that in the email or here somewhere, but I figured that everyone would know that already... I don't believe you asked me if it was okay to do it first. =( 

I'm okay with the walkthrough topic that's been goin on here, which I wasn't even sure about at first because most beta testing doesn't make use of a boss walkthrough so each tester can figure out the strategys on their own and give personal feedback about the difficulty, but posting on Youtube I -really- wish you would hold off on until it gets released to all. If you would please hide the videos or at least keep them private between you and your friends until then I'd really appreciate it. I hope you can see where I'm coming from and respect my wishes.

P.S. This is however the exact kind of videos I am looking forward to watching when it IS released however. =D

--

April 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Ok, ok, I completely understand, Gi. I'm sorry I didn't ask first, I will put all the videos to private, until the official release. I thought you were paying closer attention to the thread, and whatnot, and by not saying no earlier, I thought it was ok. when it's fully released, I'll replay what's already recorded, so we can see any changes. Also, only my friend Hal has seen anything of this game, but I'm not letting anyone else see it.

As for the actual thread itself, I thought it would be nice, orginally, to help the new testers, and even actual players later on, kinda find their way around, and see the new items, and some explanations about skills. I was asking for boss strategies for myself, because I tend to have a hard time with the bosses in the game, normally. Again, sorry about all that. I'll ask permission in the future, after the official release.

--

April 26, 2013 at 1:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Hey, no problem at all. And thank you, I look forward to watching the videos in the not too too distant future then! =) The walkthrough here is fine though, it can continue.

--

April 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Alright, cool. And by not too distant future... do you mean a couple weeks? Or a couple months? Cause this release was supposed to be out some time in February, i think. And we saw how well THAT went. XD

--

April 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stoned Kuroi

I know, i know

as a good member i'll freeze myself

when the game is released someone will unfreeze me.

or i'll just keep freezed.

:roll:

--

Classic Sig

[spoiler]

Is Isn't Clear, Isn't?!

WE FAILED ONCE

WE FAILED TWICE

NOW WE MUST

FAIL AGAIN.                                   

''KEFKA YOU FREAKING FAILED AGAIN!!''

[/spoiler]

---

April 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

RaikouGilgamesh at April 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Alright, cool. And by not too distant future... do you mean a couple weeks? Or a couple months? Cause this release was supposed to be out some time in February, i think. And we saw how well THAT went. XD

Realisticly a couple months, still got to do that major change for Arc's story and events, and try to fix the last remaining bugs that I can. Hard to put a real time on it but I hope I can get out the next and most likely last version by then.

--

April 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stoned Kuroi

Gi Nattak at April 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

RaikouGilgamesh at April 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Realisticly a couple months, still got to do that major change for Arc's story and events, and try to fix the last remaining bugs that I can. Hard to put a real time on it but I hope I can get out the next and most likely last version by then.

This mean...

i gotta to be a beta tester if i want try it earlie?

--

Classic Sig

[spoiler]

Is Isn't Clear, Isn't?!

WE FAILED ONCE

WE FAILED TWICE

NOW WE MUST

FAIL AGAIN.                                   

''KEFKA YOU FREAKING FAILED AGAIN!!''

[/spoiler]

---

April 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

More strats:

Calamity:  Tifa can get two turns per one of Calamity if you wait in the menu with Cloud during her animations.  If equip Tifa with the Magi ring and you're good with the slots (choose Waterkick), you'll be dishing out 3K damage per turn of his and he'll be dead before his third attack.

Kefka (Imperial Camp):  His defenses are thick but his magic defenses are even thicker.  Set Oboro up with the Atlas Armlet and have him do the main damage with Shurikens, while Ronan throws in some Fists of Thunder or healing.

Telstar:  Put Ronan in the front row and give him the Volt Knuckles and his next strongest weapon.  Use Fists of Thunder once and you will be berserked, throwing out decently powerful attacks.  Oboro can use Shurikens and Pizzas as required.  After this fight, use a scroll that applies Vanish so Oboro will be mostly impervious to the rest of the Imperial camp.

Olbohn:  I would severely advise saving your ghost for this battle and having him use Touch to finish this easily.  If your ghost is lost before you can use this, have Avalon heal, and make sure somebody is equipped with the Mystic Ring.  You'll need a lot of Pizzas too, as this is a long fight.  Dual Magi rings on Ronan and an Atlas Armlet on Oboro make this go faster, but don't use Meteor Smash.

Skulldier:  This guy isn't nearly as hard as Olbohn.  Use Meteor Smash and Shurikans.  Don't waste the Thunder Scroll you get here on a random encounter; you'll want it later.

Ghost Train.  Stay in your menu during animations as often as possible for this fight, as you are on a strict timer.  Have Avalon Havoc the ghost until it is dead, then switch to healing.  Ronan with double Magi Rings can deal 800 damage a shot, so don't waste his turns healing.  Diabolic Wind can throw a nasty wrench in it at any moment, so make sure you are prepared with status healing items, and you can equip the Griffin Eye if you have it for an extra level of security.

Starmie + Staryu:  This is an amazing place to throw that Bolt Scroll that you got from Skulldier, as it will instantly defeat all of the Staryu.  Even Avalon should attack with Havoc here, as you want this guy dead before he uses powerful MT water attacks.  Ronan should be set up for maximum physical damage with Fists of Thunder.  Giving Avalon the Angel Pendant that you got from Olbohn will give you the edge if he gets hit.

--

I wish I was eating chocolate right now.

April 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Goliath:  This guy is pretty tricky.  Put more emphasis on hitting him hard than healing, as you really don't want to see Magnitude 8.  He has a lot of attacks, but there's nothing special you can do to avoid them.

Kefka in Narshe: Thank goodness that he doesn't have Regen anymore! At least not unless he casts it, in which case you can try to Dispel it with a Diffusal Rod or Tifa's Dispel. Meteor Smash with dual Magi Rings is quite good here. Dual Morning Stars (if you can buy them from Neko) can help Berserked Arc hit harder from the back row. Beat Rush with an Atlas Armlet (also de-equip one weapon) also hits quite well. Avalon, Serin, and Aurora, whoever you bring, might as well heal, as their damage is more lackluster. Be careful at the beginning, as the Onion Knights will blow up on you sometimes if you hit them, so hit them hard when you're going to. Kefka isn't too bad by himself, and you can Runic his spells with Arc if you're having issues (you should be using special attacks anyways).  Just watch for his confusion causing attack.

Big Daddy:  This guy and M.  Tonberry are clearly not meant to be fought until the WoR, but we're here now, so why not?  You'll need to undertake some heavy preparations if you want to defeat them now though.

First, go to Psycho City and nab the Speed Boots somewhere around there, as well as the Titanium Cap.  You can bet the two pairs of Speed Boots that you should have at the Coliseum and beat the simple night-dog-thing to get a second and third of Angel Pendants.  Now bet two of these (the third you'll need later) for Genji Gloves.  Your best bet to beating the Samurai is to send in Ronan with a Reflect Ring, and hope he casts a lot of spells.  Then bet your 1-3 Genji Gloves for Gold Essences (essentially Thunder Shields; if you prefer them to Genji Gloves like me, you can bet all three.  If you want to keep your Genji Gloves, you really only need one).  You'll be fighting a Malefic.  You should try sending in Serin with the Reflect Ring and Holy Amulet.  Some combination of Crisis Pillar, Confuse status and reflected Holy spells might kill it.  Note that killing this guy or the Samurai is unlikely, so save before trying it.  Now buy an absurd amount of Revives.

Now that you've got your booty, head back to Psycho City.  Equip as many Thunder Shields as you've got, and go fight Big Daddy.  Most of his attacks are ST or gravity based, so therefore just revive whoever gets hit.  And the one that isn't, is lightning elemental, so you're safe, just revive all the characters who weren't wearing the Gold Essences afterwards (this might be tricky if you only have one shield, though).  If a character is at 7 HP or lower, or Poisoned, Lucky Bunny is a surprisingly effective way of healing this all at once, if you brought Tifa (which I highly recommend).  He has a lot of HP, so be prepared for a long fight.  Meteor smash is awesome here.  Don't let Cloud (I hope you brought him) throw out the final attack, as the boss will death counter with Atomic Ray, which will kill Cloud, and you want Cloud to get the EXP from this fight in order to learn Omnislash.  For winning, you get the Incinerate, which does something eventually, I think.

M. Tonberry:  This guy will attack with different elements depending on what his weakness is.  Give Ronan the Titanium Cap to protect against Water, and the Angel Pendant to protect against Earth.  A Reflect Ring will protect against the rest of his arsenal.  Don't attack him with Ronan, though, as Ronan will get counterattacked by Step Mine eventually and killed.  Instead, revive Cloud and hope he lives long enough to use Omnislash.  If the Tonberry is close to the front, hold off on attacking with Cloud, as he might kill Ronan with Cleave.  Otherwise, Ronan is completely safe.  Cloud should have first dibs on the Gold Essence, as Ronan is protected anyways.  Also give Cloud the Dwarf Bracer and Atlas Armlet for maximum damage.  If he poisons himself, don't heal it, even if it starts to heal him.  On average, it works on your side.  For winning, you get a Demon Killer, which FAR outclasses anything you have in terms of attack.  Combined with a Vambrace and an Atlas Armlet, this is actually half decent by simply attacking, which is really saying something in a game where simply attacking is complete garbage.

Metroid:  Oh, yeah. almost forgot him.  Hit this guy with Galic Gun and Beat Rush.  When Ronan and Tifa die, revive them, but don't heal them, or you're just giving it more HP when it uses Leach.  Wait in the menu during animations to prevent it from healing.  For winning, you get a Mermaid Rod, which would be sweet if there was anytime coming up where it would be helpful.

--

April 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

Thank you guys very much for this, as I had a very rough time in my first playthrough with version 2.  What would really help too if you guys could provide a walkthrough on some of the games secrets that were added. For example Serin has an extra awesome tool that I totally missed the first time I played, something to do with a skeleton in Zozo but I don't know how to do it. It bummed me out that I got to the WoR and couldnt get the tool and basically stopped using Serin alltogether lol

May 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Retrogamer at May 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thank you guys very much for this, as I had a very rough time in my first playthrough with version 2.  What would really help too if you guys could provide a walkthrough on some of the games secrets that were added. For example Serin has an extra awesome tool that I totally missed the first time I played, something to do with a skeleton in Zozo but I don't know how to do it. It bummed me out that I got to the WoR and couldnt get the tool and basically stopped using Serin alltogether lol

Worry not, Retro. I remember how to do it. Pretty sure anyways. But anyways, soon as the final version is out, and I get permission, I'll be doing a Let's Play of it, if Gi Nattak allows me to. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure you can get a record from somewhere... Thats the part I dont remember. It might be behind the clock... but you just play the record in the room, and then you fight the skeleton. Someone back me up on this one?

--

May 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bryan.

After you help the soldier in "mobilz" he gives you the Record instead of the Titinabar.

May 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

Thanks for the tip. BTW on my first  playthrough I had the cosmic fang weapon for Serin, I cant find it this time, I have no idea how I got it the first time lol. So frustrating.

Also, I noticed this game you are very tight on money compared to the other game. I wish I stocked up on supplies in Figaro where everything is half price, ESPECIALLY aqualins and recharges.

May 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

The Cosmic Fang skill is in Figaro Castle in the king's room behind the bed in a chest. It was moved since the last version.

--

May 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Oh, gosh, another post.  I hope I'm not blabbing too much today...

First off, there's really no debate anymore about Gold Essences vs. Genji Gloves.  You will want the Gold Essences for the Magitek facility, trust me  If you've beaten M.  Tonberry, feel free to get a fourth one with the Angel Pendant, as you'll have Float and Regen soon enough.

Yeti:  This guy has powerful attacks, but anything dangerous is ST, so he's not too bad.  Blizzard is cut in half by your Gold Essences, so you'll only lose 50HP when he throws it out there.  Serin may end up being most effective by using Storm, learned from the shield.  The enemies he summons go down pretty quickly.  No character in particular should heal, but you should be using Meteor Smash with Ronan when Yeti is alone.

Efreet/Shiva:  With the shields, most of their attacks do half damage.  You can summon Spiky Tiger and you'll barely need to heal unless they throw out level three spells.  Focus your attacks on one of them, as you don't need to defeat both, and don't use elements other than fire and ice (even Water is nullified by Efreet).  Ronan is on the sidelines for this fight, as is Arc, unless you've taught them some spells.

Proton:  This guy is a doozy.  He isn't vulnerable to useful statuses, and his attacks are very powerful.  Fortunately, many of his potential attacks are nerfed by the shield.  If he starts using Poison Storm though, you will want to start healing like crazy until he stops, as this attack does really high damage.  Elemental attacks are worthless once again, so Ronan and Arc should be the main healers (well, with the team I brought anyways) unless you're willing to guess which elements to use from his attacks.  Another large advantage of these shields is that you can heal with Storm instead of pathetic Cure spells or ST Pizzas, which are starting to become outdated.  Casting Float before the fight will help with Magnitude 8.  Braver may be more useful than Omnislash here, as it will cut through defenses.

Shiranui (is that right?):  This guy makes me regret my comment about the Mermaid Rod earlier.  Equip Arc with the Cosmos Ring and the Paladin Icon, and watch him let loose with powerful attacks and Flood castings.  A Flood casting will do in the Fire Crystal in a turn, and make a real mess of Shiranui himself (They're both weak to water).  His attacks are powerful, but you've got Storm for healing and he is heavily nerfed by the shield, so this fight will be over quick.  Ronan and Cloud both do solid damage as well.

Gold Cranes:  This battle is similar to the others.  Regen from Spiky Tiger helps, and the first order of business is to change Otis' equipment.  He has a Genji Glove equipped, but this is worthless because Jump just randomly selects a weapon and uses its stats; you don't get double damage.  Set him up with a Gold Essence and an Ocean Spear/Bloodrinker/Demon Killer/Blunderbuss (whichever you have/would be most useful) instead, and start jumping.  Or you can use Gil Toss, which is better than I remember (was it changed?), and you have plenty of Gil left after the Magitek Facility, although you'll want it later as well.

Bottom line:  Gold Essences kick butt.  Oh, and if you've got some money to blow or you didn't want to get the shields (it takes a while, so on console it would be annoying without fast-forward), Reflect Rings help with Efreet and Shiva and you can destroy anything else by throwing Holy Amulets from Albrook or somewhere.

--

May 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

Did anything change in this version, I don't know what to do I just got Aurora back and I am at the part where you go to the Cave Of The Sealed Gate but I dont know how to get there

May 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

If you haven't returned to Fraust for the cutscene there, don't forget to do that.  Otherwise, go to the Imperial Base at the southwest corner of the North Continent, below Tzen.

--

May 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

If you haven't returned to Fraust for the cutscene there, don't forget to do that.  Otherwise, go to the Imperial Base at the southwest corner of the North Continent, below Tzen.

--

May 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Whew, thanks a lot, Lockirby! I'm really not playing much myself right now, but I'm reading everyones posts. I don't have much time with my work schedule to play games, like I used to.

--

May 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Kefka/Vanguards:  Swap your rows before the fight, as it's a back attack.  With the shields you have, you will be healed by the Vanguards' Giga Volt spells, and Reflect Rings will take care of most of Kefka's.  The only issue is healing with Reflect on, but some combination of Sun Bath (if you brought Mog, which is a good idea, use Earth Blues) Pizzas and Giga Volt should keep you alive, as you won't be getting hit by much.  Kefka's HP is proportional to yours, meaning he'll probably have HP less than or close to his Vanguard buddies, so go straight for the prize on this one.

Leviathan:  If you're worried about time, Aurora in the front row dealing damage with a Vambrace, Atlas Armlet, Taser Mace combination can throw out damage with a very low animation time (even more on Morph, but you don't need it, per say).  You can equip the Titanium Cap on Aurora and the Aqua Gear on Cloud to absorb his water attacks, and have Cloud/Leo heal with Cura/Rejuvenate as necessary, or use Omnislash/Thunder Beam.  Don't waste time healing Tifa; she has slow, mediocre damage, if you're not good, you'll end up selecting Waterkick half the time anyways, and she's harder to defend.  She can hit the bricks during this fight.

Lava Demons sequence:  I'm sure a few different people want to see this one, so I'll try to make this a good one!

Preferably, you'll want to have:

-4 Gold Essences, as always

-At least one Water Scroll, hopefully three or more

-At least two Ocean Spears, more if you have the money

-Some White Capes, if you want

This strat is equally good as, but less expensive than spamming Ice Rods (at least for battles two and three).  If you come to the island without White Capes, you can buy them in Jericho.

Battle 1:  Whenever Bombs come up, wipe them with a Tsunami.  Between Gold Essences and Magitek Barrier, which you can apply to everyone, you'll only take about 1/3 of the damage you normally would from each attack.  Beware of throwing out too many attacks at once, as you might eat a few counterattacks and have trouble catching up again.  Also avoid using Splash and Flood, as he counters these spells with Volcano and Flare, things you don't want to see.  Finally, if something is prompting you to use Leo's Poison Storm, don't do it, as he absorbs Poison and will eventually start gaining a ton of HP from this.  On the same note, if it says "Lave Demon's flames grow stronger", he will apply Poison to himself, so remove it with an Aqualin.  With a well defended, careful team of four, this battle goes down fairly easily.  If you don't have Gold Essences, use Reflect, as this will prevent a lot of his attacks from working, and you can still heal using Rejuvenate.  Just make sure you take out those Bombs doubly fast, as they will blow up at the first hint of reflected fire.

Battle 2:  This time, you have Oboro and Maduin in place of Aurora, FuSoYa and Cloud, so this is slightly more difficult.  You can wipe out the first wave of bombs with a Water Scroll (if you only have one, save it).  After that, get healed, apply Reflect if you want it (throw White Capes), use Magitek Barrier if you feel you need it, steal the Molten Axe if you want it, and wipe out another group of bombs if it comes up.  Then get ready to see just how fast you can murder this guy!  Throw an Ocean Spear with Oboro, and Mimic this over and over again with Maduin, waiting in the menu during his animations.  Nattak was kind enough to make Item un-mimickable so you couldn't mimic Ice Rods, so you can heal with Pizzas and continue mimicking Ocean Spears.  If you're lucky, you'll win the fight from here with nothing but shave damage healed by Pizzas.  If you don't have enough Ocean Spears, use Ninja Stars instead.  If you don't have those, you can throw your Icebrand if you don't care anymore, but you might not want to do that.  If the best you have is Shurikens, use those, it'll take longer, but you can have both Oboro and Maduin throw them.  You might also need to clear out some more bombs in the middle because you won't win as quickly.  Oh, and don't use Prism, or you'll use Splash or Flood and eat nasty counters.

Battle 3:  You should use Prism on the H-spawn until you get Mesmerize, then kill everything except the berserked target.  This will allow you to heal for the next fight without it blowing up.  You want to be at full health for the next fight.

Battle 4:  **** the Lava Demon, this is the fight most likely to kill an unprepared player, IMO.  Chuck your Water Scroll here.  If you don't have it, spam Ice Beam, Shurikens and Fight and hope you win.  You really want to use the Water Scroll, though, as they can hit you very hard in the front row (it's always a pincer attack), and blow up on you if you even think about healing.

Battles 4/5 are nothing new now.

As a footnote to Nattak, his counters to Splash and Flood seem like they might be remnants of his original battle script, where he uselessly countered Demi and Quartr.  If that's true, maybe you should remove that bit, as it would make Prism more useful, unless you intended to make using the water element a trade-off.

Ultros:  What is there to say?  It's Ultros.  He has Land Slide now, but it's ST, so who cares?  He's pretty similar to before, so use Reflect before using elemental spells, Dispel his Protect/whatever else he puts on, Slow him, fire/lightning does crudloads of damage, etc.  When Eiko shows up, hit him with the Dragon Rod until it summons Terrato.

--

May 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.