Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > Walkthrough

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

Something tells me that I should have the Gold Essences much harder to get or not at all until the WoR >_<

--

May 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Actually, they are pretty hard to get that early.

To be honest, I don't think many people would figure out how to get them on a normal playthrough without a walkthrough.  And if somebody's going to use a walkthrough through the whole game, I don't think they care about the shields unbalancing the game slightly.  They'd probably be happy for it.

In fact, for console players, it's probably a lot slower and more luck-reliant to get them, it just takes less skill.  Which is why they're in the walkthrough everywhere, but they're not really a game-breaker to the average player.

--

I wish I was eating chocolate right now.

May 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

I agree with Lock in that it's a good reward to be able to experiment with the Collesium, and be able to get  something that good. And someone who's never played it before probably wouldn't know how to get it, without a walkthrough, or luck. And even then, it takes a lot of luck to win the battles. So in that regard, it's taking a gamble, and the gamble paying off.

--

May 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

After Levi, you obtain the godly Quick Ring, which can be used used to take the Coliseum to its limit.

Here is where Arc really starts to shine.

First, bet a Frenzy Band for an Exodus Ring.  Use the Cael Hammer's random Break castings to kill it, as it will die instantly

Then, buy 8 Rune Blades:

For these battles, use Arc with the Gold Essence, Rune Blade, Kung Fu Garb, Tai-chi Cap and Quick Ring. That should work.

-Bet Rune Blades to get Hawk Cleavers

-Bet Hawk Cleavers to get Vendettas

-Bet Vendettas to get Doom Bringers. The enemy you fight is weak to Instant Death and running out of MP, so you can teach Arc Rasp/Death to have a higher chance at winning.

-Bet Doom Bringers to get Dual Breakers.  Equip Arc with an Angel Pendant for this one.

-Bet the Dual Breakers for Red Essences.  Equip Arc with the Cael Hammer (or Musashi if you have it) and pray he kills it with the random Break casting.  The Exodus Ring and Paladin Icon help.  His physical attacks suck, but keep your evasion up to avoid Morbid Slash.

-You can bet Red Essences for Blue Essences too.

Note that you don't have to get all of the Red Essences at once.  Get one and come back later when you have a Musashi.

Next, get some Laitos from Mobliz:

-Bet them for Kogarasumarus.

-Bet those for Bizen Boats.

-Bet some of those for Masamunes (you may want to keep one, as these work like the Valiant Knife, so they're decent at least). Arc will want a Paladin Icon for this fight. This fight is the next in the chain, but since you already have a Masamune, I'd recommend coming back after you bet that up to a Musashi.

-Bet the Masamune for the Musashi.  Give Arc a Red Essence and a Reflect Ring.

-This is epic because it allows you to have an extra Relic slot while having perfect evade with Arc.  Keep at least one for sure.  You can bet more for Holy Lances.  Keep as many things along this chain as you want.

Next, bet your Tabby Suit for a Chocobo Suit.  Hopefully the Vectaur won't blow up on you.

-Bet the Chocobo Suits for Moogle Suits.  Unfortunately, the stuff these bet for are much better, so you won't be seeing any Moogles right now :(.

-Bet the Moogle suits for Prinny Suits.  To win this battle, equip a Reflect Ring and hold down the run buttons.  Don't stop running!

-I'd bet one of these for the Mark V Armor, and keep one.

Now for some miscellaneous stuff:

-Buy some Galaxy Scarves in Jericho, and bet some for Rune Circlets.

-Bet Lode Shuttles if you have them for Hyper-Fists.

-Bet a Dwarf Bracer for a Reflex Cape.

-Bet a Reflex Cape for a Prism Cape.

-Bet a Prism Cape for a Dragon Horn.  Use a Gold Essence and the Exodus Token to beat Shredder.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I remembered everything, but I got a lot of it down here.  A lot of this is endgame, Zuriel's Tower equipment, that you have already in the WoB!  Again, though, without a walkthrough, it's doubtful that most players would have a chance at finding this stuff.  I spent hours working this out, so I don't think it's too broken for average play.  It would probably be just as difficult to work out this stuff than to beat the next portion of the game with normal equipment, but since it's here already, it would be useful for the walkthrough.

--

May 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

I sent Otis, FuSoYa and Mog to the Floating Continent. At this stage in the game, this team is extremely deadly to just about anything. Remember to get Big Guard from the Nohrabites in Pirate Cave. Because I definitely remembered. Definitely... Also remember to buy Shurikens, because I totally remembered to buy those as well.  You can even bet them up to Ninja Stars if you want to spend the time on it.  I even remembered to buy some Lemonade for the Floating Continent escape later.   Lunar Wind from the enemies on Jericho Mountain (or whatever it was) also might help.

IMF: Equip Otis with the Vanbrace, Dragon Horn, Flash Spear, and Mark V Armor for these fights. Give FuSoYa a Void Stone and a Magi Ring. Give Mog two Magi Rings, and everybody Gold Essences (Red/Blue Essences work great too). Now wipe these guys with Tsunami from FuSoYa, Water Rondo, and Jump. You can heal after the fights.

Ultros/Majin Buu/Olbohn: Olbohn and Buu can both be Berserked. Cast Vanish on yourself, and you really cannot lose. Have FuSoYa burn Olbohn while Otis jumps on Ultros and Buu with his Flash Spear. Don't use Dances with Mog, use Inferno is you have it or attacks if you really have nothing good to use (he's still decent with a Flash Spear).

Storm Eagle: Tsunami/Water Rondo should take care of his cronies really fast, and Otis can take him out really fast. He can deal decent physical damage, but he's only one enemy and with Big Guard you can easily outpace him.

Ultima:  Red Essences are the way to go for this battle (for those who are not Otis), and give Otis the Holy Lance.  If you want to play it defensively, use Reflect Rings and have FuSoYa heal with Lunar Wind and Mog heal with Sun Bath from his Earth Blues.  Make sure your characters are on Float, and if he uses Last Word, rebuff it immediately, as he likes to use Quake around that point.  If you don't have Reflect Rings or don't want to use them, he's still quite beatable with Cura/Curaga every turn.  If FuSoYa is getting low, consider throwing a Rib-Eye his way, as Lunar Wind will do squat at that point.  Oboro should throw Shurikens/Ninja Stars, but make sure to Mug his tasty Griffin Eye first.

Zuriel alone:  Use Meteor twice (or more).  Don't worry about conserving MP, as you'll be healed for Zemus.

Zemus/Zuriel:  Use Meteor twice to kill Zuriel.  When Zemus' guard is broken, use Volcano to kill him, and Osmose for MP.  He can barely touch Golbez, so don't worry much about dying.  Oboro will die if you're not careful, though.  If you like Lich Rings for some reason, go ahead and steal his.

Floating Continent Escape:  This right here is one of the more difficult segments of the game.  Before Zemus, set your msg. speed to 1 (though notably not your Battle speed; this makes enemies go faster).  Quickly equip Golbez with a Void Stone so that he will run out of MP less, and a Cosmos Ring for more damage.  Heal his and FuSoYa's MP in the menu, not with Osmose to avoid inviting more time-wasting counters.  These are the encounters you may deal with:

Destroyer/Langolier:  This is the last battle you want to see, but unfortunately the most common.  There are few battles in the ROM that could be more frustrating during a timed segment than this one.  They counter everything with hugely time-wasting moves, Langoliers have Reflect, and their evasion is brutally high.  Have Golbez cast Meteor first, as his M. Evade is higher, so he may block some spells with his shield.  Then have Fusoya finish with another Meteor.  If you're having trouble dealing with Break, equip Golbez/FuSoYa with Holy Amulets/Exodus Tokens.

Iron Giants:  Just run away.  Unless you're in a pincer attack, like I was, or you just can't feel good about running.  Then use Tsunami/Water Rondo (the others can sit there)

H- Gaze:  Just run.  If I'm remembering my first playthrough correctly, the best way to take them out is ST Blizzard spells, but that was a year and a half ago, and that wasn't an especially important piece of knowledge either, so I may be wrong.

She-Devil/Zealots:  Have somebody MT Volcano, and Otis jump to finish the She-Devils.  The others should sit there.

Those are only the battles that I encountered, there may be more.

Raditz:  This is where the party really begins.  You can take out SSJ Raditz faster than normal Raditz, so don't bother attacking Raditz.  They have separate HPs, so these attacks won't be useful.  Have FuSoYa and Mog defend while Golbez heals the party.  Remember what the timer was when the battle started, and jump with Otis when nearly 40s has passed.  Be aware that he will almost surely kill somebody with Hyper Drive, so have FuSoYa Arise that person.  Move Golbez to the front row after his first attack, and have Mog start dancing Earth Blues while FuSoYa heals when necessary.  If he turns back into Raditz, just wait a bit for him to return to SSJ Raditz again, don't worry about defending or Hyper Drive this time, though.  He should go down in less than four minutes, as Otis is dealing 6K-10K damage most of the time, with quick animations, Mog is often dealing 4K with Rock Slide, and Golbez is throwing out 1700 (at my levels anyways).  Don't have FuSoYa use Magic to attack, and have Golbez attack from the front row with his Crystalis.

--

May 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Hey, where in the world is the Speed Boots in Psycho City? I've searched all over, I think. I found the titanium cap, though.

--

May 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

It's in a trash can near the Big Daddy and the Skeleton.  Approach the trash can from the south, you won't find it facing downwards.

--

May 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Well, I beat Big Daddy and M. Tonberry. Big Daddy was definitely the harder one, since he can take anyone out with a normal attack. M. Tonberry is more or less a waiting game... cause once his mp runs out, you can go to town to on his ass. Just becareful of the Cleaver.

--

May 17, 2013 at 12:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Is there any magicite to be bought in the auction house? If so, it's pissing me off... taking forever to get.

--

May 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

The magicite to be bought in the Opera House is the same as usual.  If you're playing on an emulator, the fast forward command helps a lot.

--

May 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

I am, and I did. I spent about a half hour going through pod bracelets, angel pendants, and wanna-be-gangster chocobos. on fast forward constantly. Just slowing down a second to make sure I didn't ever bid. I only found one magicite after that half hour, and JUMPED on it, believe me.

--

May 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

With the Lava Demon thing, something you can do is get at least three water scroll, if possible. I didn't have any Ocean Spears, so I chucked a scroll at the second lava demon, and had Maduin mimic it. It hit a good 4k each time, but it wont hit summoned enemies, for some reason, so be careful about that. You can do the same with the last lava demon, and use a scroll in the pincer attack. Just dont let anyone do anything except use items, and Mimic.

--

May 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

So, uhh... just a little side note... if you fight Big Daddy in Psycho City... beward the Veldt. He'll spawn there... so be prepared!

--

May 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Proto-Babil:  Even with two characters, this guy is a piece of cake.  Waterkick is super-effective, I think.  I also think he throws out mostly fire-elemental attacks, so equip a Red Essence.  It's not that important anyways, you shouldn't have any issues here.

Zombies:  Don't equip a Reflect Ring like you might have in the original, as it will make it a lot harder to heal.  However, you'll still want to be Hasted, so equip the Mermaid Tear and Eaglehorn on Tifa and Ronan.  Wind Wolf Attack works well here for damage, but you will eat Tentacle counters for it, so be prepared.  Lucky Bunny can be used to heal Poison quickly if you get Virused, and Serin might as well use Cura.  Once their numbers start to dwindle, let Tifa and Serin get in on the action.  Serin's probably best in the front row, attacking with the Holy Spear.  The Lead Zombie has poison regen, but you should be able to outpace him fairly easily at this point.

Dullahan replacement:  Most of his attacks are ice element, so equip Blue Essences.  Otis with his Holy Spear should be throwing out nearly 5K a jump (and that's at my level, you're probably higher), and hitting multiple times.  He'll be dead in no time whatsoever.

At this point, you have the airship, so go down to the bottom of the Saarlaac (may be the wrong name) on Triangle Island.  The enemies here are really tough right now, but for the rewards you should enter this dungeon now.  Every ninja/dancer fight should be treated like a boss battle.  Make sure that you have Gold Essences equipped (even on Otis this time, forget the Vambrace).  Make sure you have Serin or Tifa on healing duty at all times just in case.  Don't forget to Raise/Recharge the undead enemies as well.

Ice Dragon:  Equip everybody with Blue Essences (including Otis).  At this point, you can only be killed by his ST physicals (and boy are they powerful, you'll likely be close to dying from regular attacks).  He only ever attacks physically once a turn, so have the three party members doing nothing at any point in time heal the hurt/dead person or unfreeze frozen people with Fireball/Inferno.  At the beginning of the battle, have Serin use Psionic Wave until he weakened to Holy, and then have Otis start jumping.  Even with the Atlas Armlet instead of the Vambrace, he was dealing over 5K for me, so even with only Otis attacking, this should be fairly quick.

Tritoch:  Nothing he has pierces Reflect, except Cold Dust, so you're completely safe.  The only issue is dealing damage to him.  Use Psionic Wave until he is debilitated to all elements, and be sure to throw out attacks of the elements he is now weak to.  Otis can jump; hopefully he'll get a random Pearl casting.  Mog should probably use Earth Blues, as he'll be able to attack from the start of the battle with no element. 

--

May 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

You said Raditz went down in about 4 minutes, and Otis was dealing 6-10K... what level were you when you did this? I was close to level 30, all around... everyone focused on stat points as much as possible, mind you, rather than spells.

--

May 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Otis was level 26 if I remember correctly. I meant 6K-10K damage per set of jumps, not per jump, so that may be the misunderstanding. Otis should have the Vambrace, Dragon Horn, Holy Spear, Mark V Armor, and the Rune Circlet (no shield). I also gave Otis Acolyte (+2 Vigor) for most of the levels that he gained, but it shouldn't be a huge difference either way, and I'm sure that you gave him some Vigor boosts as well.

Shadow: Equip Serin with the Dual Breaker, Dream Shield, Tai-Chi Cap, Vortex Plate, and dual Quick Rings. This will allow him to block for the entire party if they are at low HP. Give Otis the Paladin Icon instead of the Vambrace, and the non-Serins Red Essences (Blue Essences will let you be healed by his Blizzard, so they won't be at low HP, and Serin won't guard them). Let your non-Serins die and revive them, and he'll take all the hits (or rather, misses). Now just keep Serin at good HP and the only worry is Toxic Bomb, which can poison (but not kill). Also don't let Mog use a dance that can heal. Desert Aria, Forest Nocturne, and Dusk Requiem are the safe ones. Sometimes he'll mimic you, in which case he'll hit himself with something just for kicks.

Now use Shadow to grab the goodies in Fraust

Albion: You may want to use a different strategy for this boss depending on whether you're using an emulator and you have the fast-forward function or not.

Fast-forward: Equip Shadow with the Vortex Plate, a Reflect Ring, and a Quick Ring, and Serin with the Paladin Shield + good evade + Paladin Icon.  Summon Golem/Grewon (somebody else can summon before they die), and have Shadow Emulate Harlet.  Have Serin Dispel ReRaise, and use Psionic Wave until he is weak to Holy.  Now have Serin commit suicide, and watch the Dragon kill itself too.  Make sure you hold down the run buttons so that Shadow won't attack and provoke Curaga counters.  You can hold fast-forward for a bit, but be careful!  Every time the dragon loses approximately 60K HP, it will lose the Love Token "status" and you will have to let Shadow use Love Token again.  You'll know to do this because the dragon will start missing Shadow instead of hitting itself.  With everything going for him, Shadow has little chance of dying.  Besides, even if he does, you only need to spend another minute or so at 30x speed to redo the battle.

No fast-forward:  This battle is harder, but faster for those not on an emulator.  Bring Otis (who else?) with the Paladin Shield, and Serin with good evade and the Vortex Plate.  Debilitate the dragon to Holy, and cast Reflect on him so the Curaga counters fail.  If Serin dies, revive him for casting Reflect when it runs out.  Otis shouldn't die to the dragon's attacks because his jump will carry him over most of them.  More characters won't be able to do anything because he will fry them with holy element attacks.  Overall, this shouldn't take too long and it's the best way of damaging him right now.

Or you could just save him for later, he gives no decent rewards anyways.  You already have the Holy Spear.

More bosses are coming later.

--

May 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Where/Who the heck is Albion? I'm all caught up otherwise, whoo! Also, my own little strategy for the Tonberries, if anyones fighting them

Tonberries: First of all, like with Shadow, give Serin the highest Evade possible, and let everyone else fall down. I believe ALL of Tonberries attacks are physical, so the Essences are moot point. With Serin, use his Psionic Wave to make them weak to Earth, if possible, and allow Mog to use Land Blues on them. Tifa should heal, and Otis... well, Tonberries have high evade. I never hit those suckers once, even after making them weak to Holy. Hit them with GPRain if you want, I guess, but it's very weak. The Tonberries won't give you much trouble with regular attacks, just Knife, really.

--

May 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

I was saving the Tonberries for later, as I wanted Oboro first.

Oh, and Albion is the Holy Dragon, although he is placed where the Earth Dragon is normally, in the Opera House.

Proto-Babil+:  Equip Gold Essences, and give Otis the Ocean Spear (you can give him the Flash Spear for the first fight too, and de-equip it for the second).  Serin can do great damage from the front row with the Zodiac Sword.  You can also bring Tifa if you're good with the slots, and select Waterkick.  Finally, let Mog throw out Water Rondo (you'll heal him occasionally, so Earth Blues may be better, but this is pretty easy anyways).  Finally, Aurora on Morph should be throwing out 8K damage Floods.  He has 30K HP, so you can do the math on just how quickly this guy will drop.  You probably won't need to heal, and using Psionic Wave is a waste of time.

Jr.  Behemoth:  Teach everybody Volcano, and cast Stop on this guy, then just fry him with Volcano (and Otis).  You can equip Red/Blue Essences too (Raikou, you said you would only teach certain characters magic, so bring Aurora, Tifa and Shadow to try Man O War).

Sr.  Behemoth:  Make sure everybody is wearing equipment to protect against Sleep, then just fry him with Volcano (and Otis, with Holy Spear).  He'll die really fast, so you don't need to worry about healing again.

Tonberries:  Just to improve on this a little, it's a good idea to bring Oboro to steal their Dresses.  Also, entering the battle with Vanish makes all the characters invincible.  Equipping Otis with the Paladin Icon will allow him to hit the Tonberries, and they can be Poisoned as well (but after you steal).

Doom Cloud:  Be aware that this is a back attack (it's the Monster-in-a-Box where the Tiger Claws were), and also that he's weak to muddle.  He's weak to Wind element, but seriously, who uses Wind?  This shouldn't be too hard, I'm figuring, but I never really tested it.  Go into the battle with Float and Red Essences just in case (Aurora can use the Flame Cloak).

--

May 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

I tested Doomcloud, and it appears he's easier than I thought.  Once you confuse him, he'll kill himself with Unholy End rather quickly.

Also, I double checked the Tonberries, and it turns out that Oboro can't possibly steal from them until level 50 :(.  I'm going to restart until I get a Shaman Dress from each battle as a drop though.

--

May 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Mario/Wario:  I'd equip everybody with Red Essences to avoid Mario's Fire attacks.  Just hit Wario as fast as possible when he comes out; he's got nasty attacks, but if you hit him quick, you won't see much of them.  He's weak to Holy and Fire, so he should be cannon fodder for Otis/Volcano/Flare Star.

JCE3000GT:  This guy is probably my favorite boss fight in this hack.  I brought in Ronan, Arc, Shadow and Serin, although Ronan's not too great here.  If you play your cards right (and you have a Flash Spear), Otis would be faster.  Make sure everybody has Reflect Rings, Red Essences, and decent evasion.  Also make sure the last digit of your Gil total is zero.  Give Arc Grewon, and it's time to take him down.  Once the battle starts, have Serin debilitate him to Fire, Ice, Thunder and Wind.  The other elements won't work, so don't bother.  Now he'll deal decent damage to himself with some of his spells.  Arc should use Grewon on his first turn, use his second turn to give JCE3000GT an Aqualin when he reflects Plague onto himself, and use a Reflect Ring on JCE3000GT for his third.  After that, just let Arc stand there to heal with Recharges and wait in the menu during Shadow/Ronan's attack animations.  Once he is debilitated to Wind, have Ronan use Wind Wolf Attack, and when he's debilitated to Fire have Shadow use Man O' War's Flare Star for 9600 damage.  If you brought Otis instead of Ronan, he'll be wanting a Flash Spear, but note that this is a little risky and it's probably faster, but not easier.  On the turn after he uses a pile of physical attacks, JCE3000GT will use Drain twice and kill two of your party members, so be prepared to revive them at this point.  Other than issues there, the main thing that can go wrong is you being hit by Meteo, but this isn't too likely, and probably won't even kill everybody, so revive and keep going.  He should be dead fairly soon.  Reflect Rings wall nearly everything here.

Now that you've defeated JCE3000GT, you have access to some great things, like the secret shop, and Golbez.  The secret shop is awesome, and as a side note, a year and a half late, I figured out why Sal the Merchant says he can't take money from the king XD.  But he still doesn't give the king a discount, what a douche.  Unicorn Horns are decent, but they bet up to better things, like the Maijin Vest and Dragon Soul.  I really don't have the money though, and I was too lazy to farm the money to buy them, so forget those.  Solar Guards are also great and useful, as well as Serpent Masks, which can give Poison Regen, which may come in handy, although I never used it the first time around.  More importantly, they bet up to the Nirvana Helm, which will be very helpful later.  I could certainly destroy Shenron's Castle right now, but there's no reason I can remember to do that, so I'll save it for later.

Omega Weapon:  Buy enough Angel Pendants for your entire party (Get them on the cheap in South Figaro with Serin as the leader, or get Speed Boots from the same store for even cheaper and bet them up).  You can also turn your Paladin Shield into an Omega Shield at the Coliseum.  Don't worry, you can turn it back later.  Equip Golbez with the Mark V Armor and the Omega Shield, and give everybody else an Angel Pendant, everybody else being Tifa, Eiko and Aurora.  Maximize each character's magic stat, and give them a Magi Ring each.  Your method of attacking will be spamming Quake spells, although never input more than two at a time, so that other character can heal easily.  Also make sure your battle speed is set to 6, so that he gets less attacks.  This is important because he is running on a certain timer, which, when it reaches a certain point, will cause him to overheat.  You actually *want* this to happen as often as possible, because he uses his least dangerous attack, Laser Barrage, twice in a row, and then resets his attack pattern to the beginning.  This means that the most dangerous thing he can do is use Hyperdrive, then Mighty Guard, and then he will probably overheat again, meaning that you won't be affected by his more dangerous attacks.  Just remember to stay out of the menu during Quake animations as often as possible, and don't tell more than two people to use Quake/Osmose at once.  Oh, and I should have mentioned this earlier, but never use Raise.  It's as slow as dirt, and costs lots of MP, when you can just use inexpensive recharges instead.

--

May 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.