Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > Walkthrough

RaikouGilgamesh

Thats a good strategy for JC, as I used to have to be around level 50 before I could best him. I used Cloud, pumped full of STR, and Omnislashing the shit out of him.

--

May 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

God Beast:  This isn't difficult because you can run the moment you get antsy about dying, and come back to fight him some more after saving.  He's weak to Ice, so Blizzard spells work well, and Otis does decent damage as per usual (although it's starting to even out now with the magic casters, especially when the enemies have evasion).  He'll probably counterattack with a physical move, but you can revive from that if you want, or just run once everybody attacking is dead.  To increase your chances of survival, you can bring Arc as a tank and give him max evasion/magic evasion with the Apocalypse, Tetra Shield, Solar Guard, Nirvana Helm, and two Quick Rings.  It's not necessary for this battle, but remember this setup for later, as it is very useful, allowing Arc to wall 95% attacks in the game (Runicing constantly, probably 98%).  This is also how to beat Olbohn in the coliseum, allowing you to swap Paladin and Omega Shields at ease.

Storm Dragon (or whatever):  Bring Shadow, and enter the battle with Vanish on all your characters, as well as Gold Essences.  Have Shadow use Man O' War, but make sure he is on Vanish before he uses it.  This will give him infinite Vanish.  Have all your other characters use Thunder related attacks, preferably, and his counters will hit your Vanish.  If he uses an attack that gets rid of Vanish, have somebody re-apply it with Acolyte.  Just get him to say "Belial cloaks himself in Wind"  as quickly as possible, because by this point, he's completely hosed.  Now just hold down fast-forward and watch him burn.

Last time I fought the Storm Dragon first thing after getting the airship.  I knew better this time around.  For winning, you get a Solar Guard, saving you 60K gil at the secret shop.

Axem Rangers:  Lol, these guys are hilarious!  They're not difficult though.  With Gold Essence + Flame Cloak on Eiko/Aurora and the Paladin Shield on Otis, they can only hit you with physical attacks, while you throw out 9999 damage Blizzard/Volcano and jump on them (have Otis jump on Yellow, as he doesn't have a weakness (unless he does, I was too lazy to check)).  Shouldn't be too hard.

Soul Eater:  You can kill your guys with Break; that way, they'll be at full health when they are restored with a Rock Candy.  Most attacks are elemental, so your setup from the Rangers should work still.  Otis doesn't even need a Vambrace to hit full 9's, as this guy has horrible physical defenses, and he's weak to Holy.  Aurora and Eiko can cast Blizzard, but it sucks, as his magic defenses are through the roof.  This battle isn't hard either, as you were probably supposed to do this earlier, but it's probably easier to play through the game in this order.

--

I wish I was eating chocolate right now.

May 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Almost to Zuriel's Tower!

Aquestos:  Make sure that your Gil total ends with zero, and cast Float on your characters.  You should also give everybody Turtle Shields (they absorb water and have decent evasion), which you can get by morphing Cactuars, or if you don't really want to bother, Aqua Gears (+Gold Essence, preferably).  Summoning Grewon whenever you lose image will also help (you should have Eiko in the party anyways, to get FuSoYa).  Red Nova should fry this guy rather quick, as would your Flash Spear.  Also note that he has L3 Muddle and L4 Flare, so equip Confuse preventing Relics on those who need them.  If a lot of characters have a level that's a multiple of 4, consider doing the Ancient Castle and coming back to Aquestos after (you can't warp out anyways).  Alternatively, you could solo this guy with Arc and fast-forward (He can wall everything here at once, provided his level's not a multiple of four).  Double alternatively, you could morph the dragon with Ragnarok, but where's the fun in that?

Time for the Phoenix Cave!  I sent Arc, Eiko, FuSoYa and Otis right, and Shadow, Mog, Aurora and Golbez left.  Feel free to do whatever, but Otis and FuSoYa should be on the same team to fight Gilgamesh, Shadow should go left to fight the Spikes, and Arc should go right to fight DarkBlaze.

Blue Spike/H--- Spike:  This fight is in the chest behind the single set of spikes that you can't avoid.  You should probably head past it first to save, just in case something goes wrong.  Equip Shadow with the Turtle Shield (even if you understandably don't want to morph Cactuars, there's one hidden on the beach in Twilight Town, which I wish I remembered in the WoB), Zeromus Shard, Dragon Helm, and Vortex Plate, and his Magic Defanse will be nearly flawless.  Give him a Quick Ring too, and cast Float on everybody.  Your other characters should preferably have good defense and Magic Defense, as well as Quake and Flood, but don't worry too much, as Shadow has this in the bag, and they'll just speed up the fight.  Be wary that Blue Spike can't be dodged though, so don't bother with evasion.  Have Shadow use Harlet, and if he's the only one left, just start to run so that he doesn't eat a Revenge counter.  Your other characters should throw out Quakes against Blue Spike, and Floods against H--- Spike, which should do great damage.  If you brought Ronan for some reason, feel free to use Meteor Smash on Blue Spike, but he'll pale in comparison to your spell casters anyways at this point (and the rest of the game...).  Serin can Flare Blade or something, but then again, he might as well just stand there.  As a reward for this fight, you get the Tiger Claws.

Darkblaze (Red Dragon):  In this fight, you win after a certain amount of time has passed.  Equip Arc with:

Apocalypse/Onimusha

Paladin Shield

Nirvana Helm

Misty Coat

Quick Ring

Aeon Crystal

Now Runic after the dragon's every turn, and you are almost guaranteed victory!  The only thing that can go wrong is Arc Runicing something, and then Flare coming after and finishing him off (through 118 Magic Evade, which is doubtful).

Gilgamesh:  Gilgamesh is at the treasure box on the platform to the left of where you find Cloud.  You actually have to go through the entire Phoenix Cave again to reach him, unless you're lazy and use a cheat code like myself.  He can counter a lot of the powerful attacks you'd want to use at this point with powerful and dangerous thrown weapons (and rare too, I almost feel sick that he can throw Magus Rods at you...), but guess what he can't counter well?  Jump.  Which is why, yet again, but probably for the last time, Otis will be doing all of the damage in this fight.  Give Otis the Gungnir, and let him fly.  The other characters should focus on healing, which they should be able to keep up with easily.  You might want Gold Essences equipped, but his magic stat is lower than the rating for Sonic 06 anyways, so you may want some Proto Shields equipped for the extra Defense.  You can cast Slow on Gilgamesh as well.  Summoning Grewon would help too, although for whatever reason I completely neglected to do that in my test battle.  When he buffs himself, cast Dispel and Slow again.  When he Jumps, have all your characters heal and then Defend, and then make sure your healers stay defending for his flurry of attacks next turn (while Otis jumps).  That should make the healing slightly easier.  His most dangerous attack is Quasar, but coming off his crudtastic magic stat, it shouldn't kill anybody, unless they're low to begin with.  Besides, you might actually want him to use this, as FuSoYa can learn Quasar as a Lore.

Getting Magus Rods:  The Tiger Claws are a weapon that would normally be rather snoreworthy, but because they are necessary for this strat, it cemented my decision to do the Phoenix Cave next (actually, I should have probably done Zebes Isle first, but it's not a big difference).  Give Arc:

Doom Bringer

Tiger Claw

Nirvana Helm

Misty Coat

Quick Ring

Aeon Crystal

Teach Arc some spells that have a high MP cost, are easy to learn, and don't do damage.  Bet the Hand Cannon, and the Tonberry appears.  The main issue here is that whatever attack you use, Tonberry will counter with Step Mine and kill you.  Have Arc take a turn or two, in which he'll hopefully use at least 30 MP.  If Arc dies, reset, but if he uses 30 MP before dying, start running.  Run until the Tonberry's "needs MP" messages come up when it uses Break.  Then you can Drain the last MP and finish him.  Due to Step Mine's mechanics, it only costs one MP when enemies use it, so you need to drain every last point of mana that it has (which was what made this strat so hard to figure out).  Be aware that it takes a lot of running to run the Tonberry out of mana, even on fast-forward.  If you're playing on console, you might want to skip this entirely, or tape down the L & R buttons for just over four hours and go do something else.

--

June 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Note for today: Grewon is your friend.

Kraid: This guy has a lot of stuff that actually gets around your defenses. Make sure everybody has Float, and bring Oboro. You should buy Bahamut from the one Reptite at Tyrano Tower, and teach everybody Diabolus. It costs a lot of Gil, but if you teach Diabolus in the Cactuar Desert, you'll earn it all back anyways, and then some. You can get a lot of Magic Evasion/Magic Defense on your casters, so they should be fairly well defended. Also find the save point once you have enough "Plasma" before you go in, just in case. Cast Diabolus once to wipe three of the Metroids, but don't kill the last one. Summon Grewon with Eiko to protect physically, Slow Kraid, and steal that Hand Cannon he's got. You'll have three healers while Oboro steals (well, if you brought three casters), and he's on Slow, so you've got a fairly low chance of dying. Oboro will likely get the prize rather quickly. Now murder him with Red Nova spells and Ninja Stars. You can destroy him in two or three turns, so you probably won't die, especially if you take care with healing. For winning, you get a Nightvision, a helmet for Shadow, which makes him hit all the time. Which is essentially worthless, given Shadow's abysmal fighting ability.

Now let's get some Tetra Shields. Buy some Rubber Shields, and bet them up to Dream Shields. Now you can bet the Dream Shields for Tetra Shields. To beat the Dante, send Arc in. You can get him Max Evade, 118 Magic Evade, and an Aeon Crystal to prevent Condemned, and he is fairly likely to beat it with this setup. (Apocalypse, Paladin Shield, Nirvana Helm, Solar Guard, Quick Ring). Also get another Magus Rod.

Time for Tyrano Tower! I brought Arc, FuSoYa, Aurora and Eiko. With Flame Cloaks, Galaxy Scarves, Tetra Shields, two Magus Rods (you'll get more soon, give Aurora an Arcane Sword for now), and Magic Evade boosting Relics for your casters, you'll have a team that walls most of the Tower with perfect M Block.  Arc should also reach Max M Block fairly easily as well with the Solar Guard.  Physical Evade/Defense is no concern thanks to Eiko's repeated Summonings of Grewon.  The Tower itself can barely touch you (except Succubi; Runic Meteor if you have to), but the bosses in here still can.  Also put Arc in the lead of the party, as some of the bosses will throw extra attacks at the leader, and you want him to be the one walling it.  Buy a couple of Diffusal Rods too.

Titan:  This guy is pretty much all physical attacks.  Don't actually apply Vanish though, as he just wipes it off.  Grewon can defend you easily, though.  If he gets the jump on you at the beginning, don't despair, just keep reviving for a while, as he'll slow down after a couple of turns.  You can use Stop, but it's not too helpful, as he'll still counter-attack anyways.  Even without Grewon, this fight is still quite doable, it just requires more healing.  You can change Arc's equipment around to have Max Evade, but I'm too lazy to bother, plus I might forget to replace it after the fight.

Stinktooth (Earth Dragon):  Swap out some of your Magic Evade Relics for Angel Pendants.  Again, giving Arc an Evade setup might help, but Grewon works alright as well.  With Angel Pendants, his Earth attacks won't touch you, the only thing you have to worry about is Image running out and him hitting you, although that won't even kill anybody.  Diabolus works great here because it will damage him and heal your characters.  After he becomes enraged, I wouldn't even trust Image to keep you safe now.  Apply Vanish to your characters instead, as he stops using attacks that can remove it at this point.  If you even Vanish one character, you're entirely safe.  Just remember to use Splash instead of Diabolus now.

Azala/Asmodeus:  The main threat here is Meteor.  Anything else here is walled by perfect M. Block + Grewon.  You can apply ReRaise just in case, but you still really want to avoid it either way, as it still isn't safe.  Have your non-Arcs fire off Red Novas at Asmodeus, but save Arc's turn (as if you'll be doing anything without magic anyways).  Have Arc wait in the menu during your characters animations, as you don't want Asmodeus to queue an attack early, and only fire off one salvo of Novas at a time, as you don't want to Runic your own spell and immediately eat a Meteor.  Wait for Azala to start his attack, and select Runic, to avoid Runicing Azala's crud.  If you do this every turn, you'll never get hit by Meteor.  He also can't cast Meteor on his first turn.  So to summarize:

-Select Red Nova with casters

-Wait in menu during animation

-When Azala attacks, select Runic

-Select Red Nova with casters again during Asmodeus' animations

I'm only restating that more clearly because I really don't want to cause anybody to have to reclimb that huge Tower again.  It's still unlikely you'll die even if you mess up though.  Also keep a close eye on your characters; if even one is missing image, summon Grewon again.  When Asmodeus flashes, you've practically won, as he'll only use Ninth Dimension now, which you're protected against.  He'll take less damage now, though.  If Azala uses Reflect, throw a Diffusal Rod to remove it.  Azala is definitely the defensive one of the pair.  To crack him, use scan, and then throw the proper element at him.  If you don't have Aero and he chooses Wind, you can take the time to use Osmose instead.  At this point, it doesn't matter much though, as Azala really can't hurt you. 

For winning you get another Magus Rod, which is unlikely to help too much anymore, but is still nice, and the Divine Gift, which is the replacement for the Offering, which sounds good on paper, but doomed to uselessness due to some new mechanics.  It will now hit the same way the Dragon Horn does, as in it will randomly choose to hit more than twice (I think it's the same mechanics as the Dragon Horn).  If I remember correctly, the chance to actually hit even thrice for the Dragon Horn/Divine Gift are less than one in five though, not 50:50.  And since the Divine Gift cuts all your attack damage in half, all you have is a worthless piece of junk that only hits for the same damage 4 out of 5 times (Unless my knowledge of the mechanics is faulting me somewhere).  Unlike before, damage from weapons that do damage based on your HP are also cut in half, losing the only saving grace that this relic might have had.  I'm mainly saying this rant because I'm sure that many players would immediately jump on this awesome-seeming relic otherwise, when they really shouldn't equip it (unless they're hitting the damage cap).  Use a good old Cosmos Ring instead.

Disraiv:  I was lazy and brought the same characters with the same gear, but Otis may be useful for these battles, and you may want to incorporate the Zohar Shard you just got into your strat.  If you use Otis for this fight, you may want the Paladin Icon, as his evasion is hefty.  He has a lot of HP, so this is not a short fight, but since your casters have such high Magic Defense and M. Block, you should be reasonably safe.  If you want, equip an Aeon Crystal on a couple people to avoid Condemned status from Soul Fire.  You can do damage quickly with Radiance spells and the Holy Spear, as this guy is weak to Holy.  Arc can even be in the front with the Holy Spear.  Also don't forget Image.

Shenron:  Here's a big one.  Be on Float before the fight.  Don't bother attacking at all until he decides to sit there for a while.  While he's switching between elements, you might as well be doing absolutely nothing in terms of damage, as he'll deplete his own lives automatically.  You'll want to heal, summon Grewon and Runic in case of Meteor during this time though.  You'll actually just be standing there mostly, as you tank out most of it pretty easily.  He'll give you a break when he reaches his final phase though, which is pretty cool.  You can use this time to heal up, apply Haste, etc.  If anybody died, put Float back on too.  Now get ready for the hard part.  Have Otis jump if you brought him, with the Gungnir equipped.  The element he's weak to is random, so pray that it's a good one (Fire/Ice/Lightning/Holy).  You'll just have to start guessing to figure it out, as you can't scan him.  Put Arc in the front row with the Apocalypse, and you can deal decent damage even if you got bad luck with the element he's weak to.  If you're low from Heartless Angel, use your weakest Cure spell, as the Apocalypse does more damage at low HP.  You're quite safe at only 500HP, as the only thing you don't completely wall is Gale Cut, which sucks, and his physicals, which really shouldn't pierce image if you're careful and don't have really bad luck.  If you brought Otis, you can just start to Runic when Shenron gets low, and finish him with Otis (he has approximately 65 000 HP after he enters his final phase), but if you didn't, you'll want to teach somebody ReRaise and apply it to somebody.  This will allow you to avoid his final Ultima spell.

Wow, this post is absurdly long.

--

June 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

"And since the Divine Gift cuts all your attack damage in half..."

This, I was not aware of...! We did tweak it so it is random like the Dragon Horn, just to balance it out more, but it sounds like it's pretty weak now ;( If what you say is true about the 1/2 damage per strike, I should be able to get rid of that rediculousness at least. 

--

June 7, 2013 at 4:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gi Nattak
Site Owner

mmm, right you are:

C2/2C06: 90 03 BCC $2C0B (Check for offering)

C2/2C08: 4E B0 11 LSR $11B0 (Halves damage)

Consider it EA'd lol. Glad you brought it up. =)

--

June 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Cool!  That will make the Fight command useful for the endgame.

--

June 7, 2013 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Alpha Omega: This boss deserves its own update. I'm going to try and write these boss strats to get all three parties through the dungeon without having to run through it any extra times (to fight each boss with the best party possible), because that is what I did last time, and it is really annoying. I've planned it out already and I think it should work, but I'm not entirely sure until I put it into practice. Unfortunately, this may still require you to leave once just before Zuriel to acquire more Recharges anyways.

I sent Aurora, Cloud, Oboro and Mog on the left route. These guys are basically the rejects, as all they will fight is Exdeath (and maybe one of the dragons, but those are pretty easy anyhow), who should be quite doable just with a caster and somebody with maxable evade.

I sent FuSoYa, Golbez, Shadow and Otis along the right.  This team is fairly offensive, and they will be fighting bosses who don't have anything like Meteor to destroy them easily.  Shadow is in this team in case you want to morph that one dragon, as mentioned in Shenron's castle.  If I recall correctly, it just gives you a Lightsaber though, which isn't very useful.

Arc, Tifa, Serin and Eiko went down the middle.  These guys are pretty much handpicked just to defeat Alpha Omega, as he is the hardest boss in this dungeon.  They'll also fight Dark Cloud, which is good because that way I can debilitate her to Fire.

I also made some other preparations for this dungeon, as it throws pretty much everything at you.  I bought a whole pile of status healing items, 99 Recharges and some Pizzas.  I should have grabbed some Fire Rods to unfreeze characters quickly (Magic is so slow), but I didn't think of that before.  I turned the Omega Shield into a second Paladin Shield, made sure I had plenty of Solar Guards, Flame Cloaks, a Dragon Soul and a Majin Vest.  Also make sure your Gil total ends in zero.  I taught all of the casters Diabolus, the third tier elemental spells, Radiance and Reraise.  Finally, I bought 99 Holy Amulets on the cheap in South Figaro (now that I've farmed for magic so much so much in the Cactuar Desert, I actually have the money for these).  Lemonades could be useful too, as well as Omni Elixers, which you can steal from the Tektites on the Solitary Island.  If I forgot any preparations, I'll post them later.

Now for the fight itself.  I'm too lazy to write down what I equipped, so here's a screenshot.

http://imgur.com/KU1xKnf

The Aeon Crystal on Eiko is only necessary because her level is a multiple of three.  If yours isn't, use a White Cape instead.  Preferably, none of your characters will have a level that is a multiple of 3, 4 or 5.  I entered the battle with Float on.  Also make sure Eiko has Flammie.  All of Arc's equipment is wrong too; he has a Quick Ring, Paladin Icon, Apocalypse, Paladin Shield, Solar Guard and Nirvana Helm.

If you have at least 4500HP, this fight is pretty simple; just stay at full health with Curaga spells and you should be fine.  I'm not even close to having that HP though, so this fight is extremely difficult, being the most difficult fight in the game save Zuriel.

This guy has three phases.  I'll go over each of them in turn.

First phase:  This strat is pretty much foolproof.  Never let Eiko do anything except Summon, or Arc do anything except Runic just to be safe.  Debilitate him to Holy and maybe Earth with Serin while Tifa Hastes everybody.  Once Haste is applied, have Arc Runic every time that it runs out.  If Alpha Omega flashes and starts charging, have Eiko summon immediately.  When Alpha Omega uses something that gets Runicked, have both Serin and Tifa throw a Holy Amulet, and then Runic again.  It takes a while, but unless you mess up, really nothing can happen here.  When he flashes but no text appears, you've hit the second phase.

Second phase:  This is pretty much just a breather.  Use 6 Holy Amulets to knock him down to low HP on this phase, and start to buff.  Arc, Serin and Eiko will want Reraise, and you'll need to recast Float, although it likely won't matter.  Give Arc Shell too.  Throw on anything else at your discretion, and restore your MP.  You can now use Runic and simply punch him with somebody.

Third phase:  This one is trickier than the others.  You can use Slow at the start of this phase to make it slightly easier.  Stay in the menu during animations as often as possible, and he'll use his ultimate attacks less.  Jumping with Flammie is not very safe this time, as Cold Dust will start freezing people left and right, and you'll die fast.  Every now and then, he'll charge for Forsaken.  This attack is very powerful.  However, Eiko has great magic defense, so she can survive this with even 200HP.  Serin can also survive if you use an Elixir on him beforehand.  If Arc has Shell, he can also survive at full HP (I gave him HP buffs a lot, and he's level 37, so he has 2600 approximately.  If you want, give Arc good Magic Defense instead of perfect Evade, as this will make this phase slightly easier (you won't need Shell to survive Forsaken, although it means a badly timed counterattack can kill you more easily in the first phase.  The choice is yours.  With my strat though, when he starts charging, Runic with Arc, and ensure that Eiko and Serin (Arc too maybe) can survive (you may need to use Rib-Eye's).  When you revive Arc, he'll still be on Runic, so don't throw anything.  Wait until he uses the first attack.  Unless he just so happens to use Atomic Ray and then Meteor, in which case Arc will Runic Atomic Ray and then you will die, you're good.  If Arc didn't Runic any spells, have him Defend, and then Serin and Tifa should throw some Holy Amulets when safe (carefully, don't throw them both until you know what he counters with).  If somebody gets Frozen, Fire Rods are the fastest way to heal them.  You shouldn't need to Runic again until he starts charging again, but let don't let Arc attack, as you don't want him eating a Cold Dust.  He can heal though.  One of your attacks can be a simple punch to save on Holy Amulets.  This strategy is pretty tricky and many things can go wrong, so if you're having trouble, use a save state to practice the third phase and then do it legit after.  Or just skip this fight, as it's not mandatory, and the reward is pretty sucky (well the drop is, the save point isn't).  If the Onion Armor had 22 more Defense and 10 Magic Evade, I'd actually have a strat in mind for it.  As it is though, you'll never want to use it.  It takes away lots of Evade, which completely defeats the purpose of guarding other characters.  The defense also can't stack quite high enough to be useful in this hack, and that is all this thing does in return for Arc having FFIV Cid's speed.

Good luck with this one.  He might as well be two difficult bosses and an easy one rolled into one boss.

--

June 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Cloud? A reject? I found him to be one of the best damage dealers. No genji glove, or any special relic, and use Omnislash V8 (think thats what it's called) and he always hit 9999 four times for me... but, then again, I'm the kind of guy who gets all the party members, then grinds to level 99 for esper bonuses, so in your strategy, they probably aren't that high.

--

June 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

You're definitely right that Cloud is much weaker for me, lol.  I actually don't even have Omnislash V8, or Oblivion (or whatever his Level 7 skill is).  He learns Omnislash V8 at level 70, I think, and I'll be really surprised if he reaches 45 by the end of the game.  His Omnislash, buffed up as much as possible, only deals about 1500 damage per swing.  Meteor Sword does about 3000 to each enemy.  For me, when comparing Cloud to the casters who can throw out 9999 damage to some enemies and heal the party at the same time with Diabolus (and even with a defensive setup), or Otis, Cloud falls short, so that's why he's there.

--

June 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

All the remaining bosses in Zuriel's Tower are here except for the man himself.

Doomkaiser (Shadow Dragon):  I'm glad I had the foresight to put Shadow on this team even though I was pretty sure that this guy didn't morph into anything useful.  As it turns out, you can get some things that might be useful, such as more Dragon Balls, and possibly more importantly, Necronomicons.  With the Turtle Shield, Scalpel, Flame Cloak, Tai-chi Cap, Quick Ring, and Aeon Crystal, Golbez is immune to everything save Plague spells.  I needed Shell to survive these, even with the uber magic defense Golbez has, but the important thing is that it doesn't kill you.  Also make sure that Shadow has protection from statuses with a Griffin Eye, and a Reflect Ring to make Plague kill him less or a Spirit Charm to prevent Condemned.  Have Golbez summon Ragnarok, and then just have Shadow Mimic it until you get all the stuff you want.  Golbez can't die, so just keep reviving Shadow with Recharges if he dies (you can't Mimic items anymore), or if Golbez gets knocked to low HP by Plague, use an Elixer to heal (not Cura/Curaga, as this will break the Mimic).  Make sure Otis/FuSoYa are dead, petrified or protected from statuses when the battle begins so that they aren't Berserked and break the Mimic.  You can go as long as you want for each of the four items you can get, and then have Golbez Rasp the dragon to death.  Feel free to use Curaga now to conserve Elixirs, and you don't need Shadow alive anymore, but those are the only real differences from before.  This goes a lot faster with fast-forward, but it wouldn't be too unbearable without it, although you'd probably want to get fewer items.

Take the left party next if you want the Wyvern Lance for Jormungand.

(Yellow Dragon):  A character with perfect evade that absorbs Thunder is invincible.  Next.

Jormungand (Non elemental Dragon?):  Give Shadow perfect evade and water absorbtion with the Turtle Shield, and Emulate Thunder Mage.  Next.

You now get Crusader.  Hurrah.

Metal Gear:  This guy isn't too difficult, mostly because he's really slow.  He is a defensive tank though.  I'd do this guy first because you don't want to have to redo the 4Ton switch room again, so you'll want a relatively easy win.  Give everybody Fire absorbtion, and give Golbez/FuSoYa high Magic Evade.  Spam Diabolus, Man O' War and jump, reviving when necessary.  Most of his attacks are ST, so you shouldn't die if you keep everybody revived.  Also, Diabolus will keep you at high HP most of the time, so healing is largely unnecessary.

Exdeath:  With the teams I have, the statues are fairly similar in difficulty.  They're also really fun fights too, requiring a good execution as well as preparation.  If you're high enough level to have the 7000 HP necessary to tank Meteor, this fight is a cinch; just heal and stuff.  For those without 7000HP, this strategy will work instead.  Put Cloud in the lead of your party, and give him perfect evade as well as the ability to guard others (The Paladin Shield and Apocalypse should be part of this setup).  Give the non-Clouds Reflect Rings, and Aurora perfect Magic Evade.  Make sure that they don't have automatic Regen either.  Once Exdeath kills off everybody except Cloud, revive them and leave them at low HP.  Cloud will tank physicals for the entire team, and Exdeath's spells will be reflected back, dealing great damage (except Volcano).  In the first phase, you can't even be hit.  Use it to apply Reraise and Float to your characters.  The second phase is much harder though.  His Meteor spells will wipe the party, so have Aurora Reraise Cloud and herself, then apply Float, then Reraise the others.  If Cloud dies to a spell here, have Aurora Reraise and Float him again (have Aurora prepared to do this at all times, as you can die fast without Cloud).  He can use Quake to heal himself, but don't bother casting Float on him, as he will do even more damage to himself with Flood.  Cloud's Limits are all worthless here (unless you've hit Level 70), so use the Apocalypse here instead, and keep Cloud in the front through R. Polarity.  Oboro's Ninja Stars are great, although hindered by Safe.  Mog doesn't mesh well with this strat unfortunately, as most of his good dances might heal you (and you'll promptly be murdered by Exdeath's blade), and Aurora should be doing all the reviving with Reraise anyways, so just have Mog sit there until the second phase, and then Fight in the hopes of Laser Light Show.  Either that or have everybody throw Holy Amulets if you want, it's up to you.  With any luck, you should survive either way.  He'll go back to his first phase when he flashes again, giving you time to prepare again if you need it.  Then run the gauntlet that is his second phase again, and you reach a third phase.  Only Flare can kill Cloud here, and only Ninth Dimension can kill anybody else, so you're probably in the clear at this point.

Zeromus:  Give Golbez/FuSoYa really high Magic Evade, as well as the Zohar Shard and some MP cost reducing relics.  I also gave Shadow a physical evasion setup that could guard others, along with a Red Essence, although strange forces seemed to be against that actually doing anything for me (by that I mean bad luck).  FuSoYa and Golbez should wreck this guy with Blizzard spells, although be wary of attacking too fast and eating physical counters.  Don't bother giving your casters Evade or anything; just pray that he doesn't counter or Shadow blocks it.  If he kills people, revive them, but there's nothing in particular to watch out for.  He never attacks too many times in a row, and half the time it will fail because your characters are mostly well protected.  Big Bang is ST in this hack, so it just needs a revive.  Zeromus takes forever to die, so be prepared for a long fight, but as long as you revive people as soon as they die, and avoid attacking too fast, you stand little chance of losing.

Dark Cloud:  This fight is mostly about keeping a healthy balance between defense and offense.  If you deal damage fast enough, she'll never enter the later portions of her attack pattern (the parts that have a good chance of killing you).  I simply gave my characters decent Magic/Physical defense, with Fire absorbtion, and gave Eiko Flammie.  Arc should have the Gamma Sword, and be in the front row, and Eiko should have Dualcast + Celestriad.  Serin should debilitate Dark Cloud to Fire and Holy, while Eiko/Tifa keep the party healed.  Once she is debilitated to Holy, have Arc attack, and once she is weak to Fire, have Tifa use Diabolus.  Even at my level with few if any strength boosts, Arc is hitting for 9999 between Dark Cloud's pathetic defense, the weakness to Holy, and the Auto-crit on the Gamma Sword.  If she uses Particle Beams and Raid, Summon Flammie to jump over Quaser and hopefully survive the next couple of turns.  You should only need to do this once though.  If you throw out enough damage, Dark Cloud throws out Giga Volts on everybody, and then resets her attack pattern.  If you deal damage quickly enough, you'll never see Quaser again, as her attack pattern will reset every time before Quaser is reached.  If Arc gets counterattacked with Love Token, continue attacking, as he absorbs Holy anyways with the Paladin Shield.  Every time you see Giga Volts, have Serin use Flare Blade once, as this will save you some Diabolus castings/Gamma Sword slices.  To get around the HP restrictions, Dark Cloud has several "lives" of 50 000HP, and after four 9999 damage hits, she will be at 4 HP on that life.  The extra damage done to that life won't carry over to the next, so that 2K damage Flare Blade will be as good as a full Diabolus, which is why it is only useful to use Flare Blade once at that exact time in her attack pattern.  As a side note, I regret not switching Otis and Tifa, as that would have made this fight much easier, with Otis throwing out probably 9999 per jump with the Holy Lance.  He was fairly lame on his own path anyways, with Zeromus/Metal Gear having high defense.  Alpha Omega may have been more difficult without another Reraise user though.

--

June 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Raikou, I think you accidently unprivatized your original walkthrough videos or something, because they're on YouTube again.

--

June 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

Here is the final entry to this log of boss strats. There may be easier strategies for doing this at a higher level, but as with the rest of these boss strats I've written, this one will work at virtually any level (albeit with minor modifications if somebody is below approximately level 35, but I find that doubtful), and it is as foolproof as possible, so it's very defensive in nature. Because of this, I used Holy Amulets to deal out 9999 a blow (to Sephiroth and Zuriel), as they would have been difficult to damage otherwise, with sky high defenses.  Radiance spells would likely work just as well at a reasonably high level (although there are even better things at that point), although Holy Amulets don't cost MP, and they're instantaneous, so they are still easier to use.  You'll need 60 probably to defeat Tier 3 and Zuriel, or probably a full 99 to take down the entire boss, but you might as well just use Blizzard or something for the first two tiers.

Here is my exact setup for the fight:

FuSoYa (Lv 35)

Magus Rod

Bard's Hat

Tetra Shield

Bard's Hat

Flame Cloak

Zeromus Shard

White Cape

Golbez (LV 39)

Magus Rod

Tetra Shield

Undead Crown

Flame Cloak

White Cape

Unicorn Horn

Arc (LV 40)

Apocalypse

Paladin Shield

Nirvana Helm

Solar Guard

Quick Ring

Paladin Icon

Eiko (LV 45)

Magus Rod

Tetra Shield

Galaxy Scarf

Flame Cloak

Zeromus Shard

White Cape

Also make sure she has Flammie

If you found more Zeromus Shards than I did, bring FuSoYa and Eiko's Magic Defense up to perfect by replacing White Capes.  I'm not sure if you can get more or not, as I never really looked into it...

On a side note, I wasted my time getting more Recharges.  I easily had enough for this before I left the dungeon.

Tier 1:  Face, Long Arm, Short Arm (renamed to other things that I don't remember):  Eiko, FuSoYa and Golbez should be killed in one hit by these guys.  And that's okay.  Just revive them and let Arc protect them.  Make sure everybody is on Float, and if you get slowed, use Hastega.  If Arc is hurt here, revive and/or bring him up to full HP, although he's got little chance of anything too dangerous happening to him.  The main danger is Float being removed by 50 Gs, so be ready to reapply it if necessary.  Target the enemies one at a time, killing the Head first, then the arm on the left (your left, his right).  If the arms Seize Arc, stop attacking and keep your casters alive.  You shouldn't be in much danger here.  Feel free to apply Reraise at the end of this phase.  Also feel free not to do that, as the next phase is even easier.

Tier 2:  Magic, Tiger, Tools, Hit:  This phase isn't too much different than in the original, and should be tackled in the same way.  It's really a nice breather from the rest of this challenging fight.  Tools is still incapacitated by instant death, magic is still incapacitated by Silence, and Hit is still incapacitated by his own suckiness.  The easiest way to rid yourself of Tools is to chuck an Exodus Token (you won't be needing that anymore), and then Tiger should be the next target.  You can Poison him, but at this point in the game it's probably just a waste of a turn.  He's too slow to be a real threat, but if he uses Flare Star, he'll heal you up, which means your casters won't be protected by Arc any more, and be dead meat for Hit.  If that happens, be careful.  Once Tiger is dead, go after Magic.  He may seem entirely useless, but he'll death counter with Dispel and Vortex, so you don't want him to die last.  Hit on the other hand, is entirely useless.  Once Magic is dead, spend this time Dispelling Haste on your casters (seems silly right?  But against Zuriel later, you'll need to Summon Flammie to avoid some attacks, and you want Arc to come down first to wall his counters), Hasting Arc, giving everybody Reraise (remember that your dispels removed it), and casting Vanish on everybody.  Now finish off Hit and watch him miss you a whole lot.

Tier 3:  Jenova, Sephiroth (woah, did I just use the right names there?):  The strat here in vanilla was to finish off Lady quickly, and then concentrate on Rest.  However, because she has just as much HP as Rest this time around, but the same elemental defense, it's time to go with a more counter-intuitive strat.  You don't look like you have Vanish, but it's still there.  Have everybody throw one Holy Amulet at Rest, then have your casters do it again next turn.  Pray that nobody just dies before they get off their amulets, although that might not be able to happen.  Make sure that you throw 7 Holy Amulets total, and then have Arc use Runic immediately.  You can easily stun lock Jenova at this point by continually Runicing Arise.  To get spells in with your casters, select the spell during the Arise animation, and have somebody enter then menu during your spell animation.  Then have Arc Runic again after all the spells have been cast.  Only cast one or two spells at a time to be careful of messing up though.  Make sure to cast an Ice or Thunder spell on your guys to remove Vanish, but not Fire or you'll get healed above low HP.  Reraise isn't important.  Make sure Eiko has decent MP, and finish Jenova with Flare.  Time for Zuriel.

Zuriel:  Strategy-wise, this is one epic boss.  An unprepared team at Level 99 could be overwhelmed by his sheer power, although a well-coordinated team at level 6 would have almost no chance of losing.  This fight is quite long, requiring probably about 50 Holy Amulets to defeat on his own.  Thanks Nattak for removing two of his 65K HP lives from last time and making it more reasonable.  His attack pattern lacks a lot of randomness, which is a great design choice IMO because it allows him to show off his awesome power and 9999 attacks without being too cheap.  This means you can predict what he will do most of the time if you know the pattern.  I'll lay out the important bits for you.  When he uses Heartless Angel, use a Pizza on each of your casters.  Don't even use Cure, as they won't be protected by Arc anymore.  If your characters are lower levelled than mine somehow, a Cheeseburger might be necessary instead (FuSoYa was only 4HP shy of the Pizzas failing for me).  The minor healing is to allow your casters to survive Maelstrom if he uses it a couple turns down the road (it's probably the only random turn in his entire script).  You don't truly need to know all this though, just remember Heartless Angel=Pizzas/Cheeseburgers.  When he uses Last Word, Haste Arc again.  It will remove Reraise as well, which is why I never bothered with it.  If you try to keep Reraise on everybody, it will probably result in this battle taking forever.  It might be a good idea to cast Reraise on Arc alone to form a happy medium between the two strats and give you an extra layer of security.  Eiko should probably just stand there in this fight, unless you're confident you know enough of his battle script to predict what moves he will use soon.  When he uses Volcano+Blizzard+Red Nova, drop whatever the fooge you are doing and have her Summon Flammie immediately.  Remember that your other characters can use the Holy Amulets immediately after coming down, if you say to throw them during Flammie's animation.  This way, you will dodge his Maelstrom+Shadow Flare combination.  The final note is to stay in your menu as often as possible, as he will go haywire after a certain amount of time and start using more dangerous stuff, which you want to happen as little as possible.  If the battle has been raging for a while, be careful with Arc's turn, and only let him move when you are absolutely certain Zuriel will not slip an attack in before him.  When it displays the text at the top, have Arc Runic one turn to dodge Meteor, then another to dodge Ultima (who has the lousy skill now, eh Ronan?).  Be careful not to throw any Holy Amulets during this time, as they will get Runiced and you will die, even if you have Reraise.  During Ultima, summon Flammie to avoid Forsaken.  When he uses Meteo, Summon Flammie again to avoid Quasar, and you're almost in the clear.  Just let your characters die of HP Drain during the next few turns so that it can be removed, and revive them again.  And that's just about all you need to know to take this guy down, just fill in the blanks with Holy Amulets.  The main thing that can go wrong is him managing to hit Arc with a spell at the wrong time (his M. Block isn't quite perfect), unless you make a mistake.  When that text appears as Zuriel dies, you can do one of three things:

1)  Be happy that you defeated a difficult boss

2)  Be sad that the hack is over

3)  Freak out because text just appeared, so it looks like he went into his uber phase, and you just set Arc to throw a Holy Amulet (my personal preference)

I tried to cover everything as well as possible, but there are some things I could have missed (you can Torment Jormungand, I didn't notice that before XD).  I think most of these strats are about as foolproof as I could get, but on the other hand, some of them may be unclearly communicated.  Even if you, Raikou, don't need all of these strategies at higher levels, hopefully they help somebody, or they're just a good read anyways.  When this game is released in its entirety, I plan on doing an LLG of it and posting it on YouTube, so wish me luck.

--

June 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Lockirby2 at June 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Raikou, I think you accidently unprivatized your original walkthrough videos or something, because they're on YouTube again.

Huh... I just checked them, and they still say Private. And I havent messed with them since turnin them private... Is it still public?

--

June 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

I can watch the videos by simply searching for "ROTDS let's play".  Maybe this is just YouTube being stupid with the update.  You could try switching the videos to "unlisted" and see if that would help.

--

June 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

I'll just delete them. I plan on redoing the lets play once 1.0 comes out, regardless.

--

June 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Poco Loco
Administrator

I want to give you guys a small update to look forward to

the lost soul boss in Avalon's dream is going to be changed into something else entirely, the script is being made by Lord Envoy and will be HIGHLY more difficult

the only thing I will reveal is that you will have 4 party members

on another note I am currently working on a boss myself, and on that note I will say nothing more, be on the lookout as mine might make it's appearance 1st  ;) 

--

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

June 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

Could someone post an Esper list, im still missing a few and have no idea where to find them.

Missing spells like Curaga, Merton, and Meteor.

Also is there anything more to the Esperville dungeon with Shenron beyond just Shenron himself?  I was expecting another part once you got passed him, and was hoping to find a new esper there.

Thanks guys!

November 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

A new esper there would be kinda cool... kinda like Diablos, in FF6 Advance. But anyways, I don't have a save far enough for an esper list, sorry.

So, I just saw the news about Lord Envoys boss addition... and, uhh... Anyone who's not fought a Lord Envoy Boss, go look him up on YouTube. His stuff is HARD AS HELL. Hopefully he's thinking in terms of normal bosses, and not super bosses...

--

November 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lockirby2

I'd post a list, but I can't remember all the details now.  My memories of specific details have gone foggy after playing Brave New World :/. Part of the reason why I wrote so much here is so that I would remember it for the next playthrough.  Ten minutes after I beat Zuriel, I probably could have told you exactly where to get 80% of anything in the game that I found myself, but now I can only guess.

Have you defeated all 8 dragons yet, and touched the queen's statue in the Ancient Castle?

I believe Golbez used to be behind Shenron, but was since moved to the front of Shenron's castle so that you can reach him earlier.  I can't remember if he was replaced with anything though.

Oh, and on the topic of Lord Envoy, killing the million HP dragon was really fun!

--

November 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.