Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI mod

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > RotDS Discussion > Walkthrough

Poco Loco
Administrator

Lord Envoy is a personal friend to both Nattak and myself, and his bosses are a great challenge, he indeed guided me a bit for the boss that I implemented and is personally going to touch up anything he finds a bit off with all the other bosses 

he might make a super boss in the game for a challenge but we aren't 100% sure yet

--

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

November 12, 2013 at 1:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

Lockirby2 at November 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I'd post a list, but I can't remember all the details now.  My memories of specific details have gone foggy after playing Brave New World :/. Part of the reason why I wrote so much here is so that I would remember it for the next playthrough.  Ten minutes after I beat Zuriel, I probably could have told you exactly where to get 80% of anything in the game that I found myself, but now I can only guess.

Have you defeated all 8 dragons yet, and touched the queen's statue in the Ancient Castle?

I believe Golbez used to be behind Shenron, but was since moved to the front of Shenron's castle so that you can reach him earlier.  I can't remember if he was replaced with anything though.

Oh, and on the topic of Lord Envoy, killing the million HP dragon was really fun!

Yup, beat all  dragons, Golbez was before Shenron, and I did the queen statue Now...but then I didnt I'd lose Radiance forever!? I know in the original Odin taught Meteor and u can learn Meteor from Crusader.

I dont know where Flammie is in this version ( Palidor in the original), and the espers teaching Merton, Meteo and Meteor

November 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

Lockirby2 at November 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I'd post a list, but I can't remember all the details now.  My memories of specific details have gone foggy after playing Brave New World :/. Part of the reason why I wrote so much here is so that I would remember it for the next playthrough.  Ten minutes after I beat Zuriel, I probably could have told you exactly where to get 80% of anything in the game that I found myself, but now I can only guess.

Have you defeated all 8 dragons yet, and touched the queen's statue in the Ancient Castle?

I believe Golbez used to be behind Shenron, but was since moved to the front of Shenron's castle so that you can reach him earlier.  I can't remember if he was replaced with anything though.

Oh, and on the topic of Lord Envoy, killing the million HP dragon was really fun!

Oh Was Brave New World?

November 12, 2013 at 3:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RaikouGilgamesh

Oh geeze. This hack might have gotten a lot tougher. Anyways, Retro, Brave New World is an FF6 hack that can be found at FF6hacking. I haven't played it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

--

November 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

Just beat Zeromus....my god that took forever!

December 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

RaikouGilgamesh at August 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Moving along to outside the caves, you can enter the good old Training Hall... Wait, that's not the training hall! It's a stupid house for Gi to get drunk in. Hmph. Talking to everyone reveals that Loco Poco kicks your ass if you cheat. If this is true or not, I'm unsure. I've never cheated. Wonder what constitutes as cheating, anyways? Also, talking to the Tonberry makes him Doink you. Owch. Nothing more to do here. Time to leave! I switch Cloud into the front, Aurora the back.

Going south, none of the enemies are anything spectacular (I didn't die to a trio of Bees! I swear!). Just hack and slash away. I also found out here that Clouds Buster Sword can insta-kill the enemies. Neat! Keep going southwest until you reach Figaro... Excuse me, DAVENTRY Castle. Keep going up, and talk to the King! Turns out he's Serin, from... I don't know. I Googled, once more. All I got was Serin, from Secret of Mana, but I doubt that's it. Anyways, if you explore the castle, you'll find the shops right outside the throne room. Get the loot, ask why the mans gone fishing, and go above the throne to pick up Cosmic Fang and a Water Scroll. Cosmic Fang is one of Serins 'Tools' for this game. Go on to the left side of the castle, per usual.

Here, we get the usual 'King is dead, what do we do, brother?' flashback, and learn that the brothers name is Ronan! Still no clue who he is! Someone help me out with these, PLEASE! Going back to the throne room, and talking to Serin leads to some more scenes! If you can't tell, I'm trying not to spoil anything, and am HEAVILY going off the fact that you've already played the original FF6.

Race time! If you beat Cloud to the door, you get five points! Beat him to the stairs, you get ten! Go and talk to him in the bedroom (Bow-Chicka-Bow-Wow!) to move on. Suddenly, a barbecue. Who didn't invite Serin? Talk to the guard up top to move the scene forward, and start up a boss fight!

<BOSS: Jugg Mecha x2 >

Ugh. The first REAL Boss fight of this game, if you ask me. These two can be tough. First, move everyone to the back. Serin uses Sonic Shot, Cloud uses Limit (1) and Aurora strictly heals. If she didn't, I died. And quickly, at that. Magitek Laser is a pain in the ass. And then they use Magitek Barrier to give themselves Protect, which doesn't help at all, either. Once one is dead, the rest is cake. Also, I notice they tend not to attack Aurora much, for some reason. That happen for anyone else?

Well, I'm done for today. Tell me what you all think! Is it good, is it bad? What can I improve on? Is this useful, or could it be useful, or am I just wasting my time here?

Serin's tool, the Cosmic Fang, is found in Devantry behind the woman that tells you the story/flashback about Serin and Ronan in a chest by the bed. It's extremely important for making random encounters much easier to deal with but it also it works on these Jugg Mechas! With them confused, Aurora can safely use her Shock spell, Cloud can use Braver and Serin Cosmic Fang again to keep them confused.

September 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer

RaikouGilgamesh at August 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Well, after that toughie of a boss fight, head on over to the cave in the south east. After the scene, go in and heal up with the water. We may still be hungry, but we're no longer thirsty! Plus, we got Cheeseburgers. Going through the cave, I didn't pick up any treasures again, because they hold better stuff later. No real threats to note, but if you're like me, the Crawlers that put you to sleep might scare you at first. I associate that red rose thing with turning a party member Zombie... That aside, head into Daventry Town and follow that man! Oh, Namingway will also let you rename your characters. Pretty nice! Talking to the strange man will tell you that his name is Oboro, from Live-A-Live! See, I know some people. All thats left to do is go shopping, really. For sake of convenience, I'll simply list everything I buy.

1 Silver Spear

1 Rune Blade

1 Diffusal Rod

3 Heavy Shields

1 (2 if you didn't steal from G Leader) Assault Helms

1 Wizards Hat

1 Vanish Cloak

1 Kung Fu Garb

1 Iron Armor

3 Star Pendants

I'm aware you probably won't have nearly enough money for all of this, but just run outside and grind. The house up north has a nice free healing bed, along with being the next plot point! Inspect at least one thing, and leave. Talk to the old man, and we're ready to go! For reference, I had all of the above, and everyone was roughly level 12. Let's go!

Ahh, Singing Mountain... I love the music here, I do. Nothings really changed from the original, however, so just go through it like normal, and pick up the items. I put the Atlas Armlet on Serin, so his Shot does more damage. I don't bother with Cosmic Fang or the new Poison Nova, myself. Not as strong as Sonic Shot. Making your way to the trippy save room, you might not have a tent. Like me. But never fear, carry on. Eventually you'll see a moogle riding a chocobo. His name is Neko, from Secret of Mana. Buy things ONLY if you need them, cause his shop is pretty expensive. But it is convenient. Keep going round the mountain when you come, and you'll spot a guy. Talk to him, and he pits you against 2 Saibamen, in a back attack. I'd move Aurora to the back, and have the two men attack while she heals. After that...

< BOSS: Raditz & Saibamen >

So... this boss can be a pain in the ass in a few ways. Can't damage Raditz till Saibamen is dead. Which, if he uses Jump, makes it annoying. If he berserks Aurora, you're basically dead, and if the other two are berserked, you lose a little damage. Unless they use a Desperate Attack, which deals a LOT of damage. Cloud uses Braver, Serin Sonic Shot, and Aurora NEEDS to heal... pray you have enough mp to last. When he charges up power, have everyone defend so his Shockwave doesn't deal fatal damage. Keep the pressure on, and eventually Ronan will show up. This part confused me at first. You need to physically attack Raditz with Ronan (Quickly!) to get the Galic Gun combination. Then use it on him, before you die.

I love this part of the game! There is a ton...I mean a TON of hidden items in barrels, pots, drawer, book shelves, etc, random places giving you money and valuable items. In particular you can find a Magic Tab in the chocobo stable here, which you can use to permanently boost Aurora's magic stat right here. Do not forget to go to the Mansion and enter where Celes in the original would be held hostage during Locke's sidequest, and grab the 2 relics in the secret room. The pot in the room where Celes/Tifa would be has Lemonade, which is endlessly amusing. Be sure to grab all the money from place with all the clocks here and within the Mansion.

You need to be smart about your money here and conserve your resources well. Recharges and Cheeseburgers are of primary importance, have a healthy supply of them and a couple snuggies. Lemonade is also great at this point in the game you probably will have a couple though.

Serin and Cloud will likely not use their weapons to attack, relying on tools and limits. Don't waste your money buying swords for them, or sword for Aurora. Buy the Shields/Armor and make sure to get the Diffusional Rod, Wizard Hat and Vanish Cloak for Aurora, All these spells are important for Aurora right now.

You will want also at least 2 of each of Star Pendant and White Cape, You don't necesarily need to buy them right now as you will be back here, but they are vital for later in the game as bosses hit you with the statuses these protect against. Paladin's Code will help you against Raditz though.

Raditz is the first boss that really gives you a run for your money. Having Aurora cast Vanish will help a lot, Raditz will sometimes react to Aurora using Virus on him by casting reflect on himself, which you can respond with by casting dispel or attacking with diffusion rod and hoping it procs (50%) chance to save precious MP, You may be drinking some lemonade during this one. Reflect will wear off after a few turns so you can use Virus again safely, Aurora will be on heal duty a lot with your cheeseburger stash as back up.

I think Raditz responds harshly to Serin using Poison Nova on him too, so be aware of that and consider using the Sonic Shot instead.

He was the toughest boss for me for a bit going into the game until Phantom Train

September 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Locke

Can someone pls update this?

April 26, 2015 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
This is a game worthy of a larger walk through and a broader fan base. My first recommendation is savor everything, talk to all the NPCs, watch the opening, take your time and absorb the experience . Pro action replay and game shark cheats will works on this hack but only use them as a last resort. This game does push the player to their limits. I'm on a phone from work but I can give a very general and when I play thorough again can try a more specific one. At the beginning, it seems magitek armor attacks like magma beam do half damage in the backrow, so move Vicks and wedge to the front. Aurora can remain in the back and use Aerods and magitek missile. Take advantage of The Bio attack and Aerods for group encounters and magma beam for your first encounters. Another tip for this part is Auroras magic. Her magitek armor is stronger than any of her spells here, so you can use all her MP for healing with cure outside of battle. The magitek armies have revitalize which will fully heal and remove status and life force to revive you for in battle. The first vids is the Fireweaver. Like the original, but he's Fire elemental, so have Vicks and wedge use ice beam, have a aurora hit with magic missle, healing when necessary. When he hides his head, it's s good time to use your turns to put in magitek barrier which I believe is both protect and shell, and heal up. Patiently wait for the head again and then attack! The next boss is first toughie of the game. This time tritoch wakes up and attacks you! If you can you will see his weakness is poison, but this particular weakness is unique. You can give him 3 levels of poison, bringing him to the 3rd level causes him to unleash the poison in your team. Have Vicks/wedge only poison him twice, there will be residual poison damage that will add up greatly over time to help. Keep yourself healed, barriered and alive, and you'll eventually prevail
August 13, 2015 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
Odd I can't space my paragraphs on the phone. Next part, you can roam freely, check the clock in the house aurora awakes in to find an elixir and the statue to get a sword. You can avoid the chests to get a better item later, I'm not sure what they are however. The part where cloud saves you I recommend having one team charge the boss and other 2 defend aurora one of the moogles can steal so use that to your advantage to gather free items. Another can use miracle and is a weak attacker, so have him heal everyturn. Keep cloud in the front row and use his limits, the 2nd is a very strong counter attack that triggers when your hit. But generally against this boss, you want to focus him down because he can summon more enemies for you to fight. Kill all his enemies except one, and then focus him so he can't summon more. That means having cloud use Fight instead of Limit. After this section look at the beginners lounge and enjoy! There are a few items here. The developers are here too be sure to talk to them!
August 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
The most important thing to remember for the daventrey section is in the room where the old nun tells you the story of serin and Ronan as children, behind her is a tool in a chest called cosmic fang, the equivalent of noise blaster. DONT MISS IT, it will make things a lot easier. Stock up on basic healing items like cheeseburgers and most especially Recharges Abd Aqualins as you have no other way to revive or cure poison, and you will need them. As you progress through to the desert and turtle cave it's good time to learn the merit of using the spell Scan. Knowing the enemy weakness is key, for example the scorpion enemies are weak to Ice, the crawlers in the cave are weak to fire and the flying bug enemies in the cave are weak to lightning. Aurora has a pretty high amount of spell usage since the cost if the spells are low, so make use of weaknesses. If you don't wanna waste a turn to scan, save state, scan, then load state and hit the weakness!
August 13, 2015 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
At south figaro things get interesting. THERE ARE HIDDEN ITENS EVERYWHERE. Search all the barrels and suspicious places. The oven in the house below the chocobo stable for example has 2400 gold! There is tons of gold and items to be found, and you WILL need them! My first times I never realized this when playing. Once your done scavenging figaro, don't forget you can access that prison chamber where Locke saves Celes in the original. You will find this in the mansion, there is a hidden staircase behind a drawer in an upstairs room. When you get in, there is another hidden room if you run straight down from from the right of that bookcase to find 2 useful relics, sprint shoes and vambrace. Check the rooms in this jail area for more goodies like the Lemonade in the bucket (Lol) Abd tons and tons of money hidden in the room with all the clocks So what should you buy? Don't buy new swords for serin or cloud, they don't need it use them. You will want the to get everyone new armor, and aurora her armies that teach spells like warp, vanish and dispel from the dispel rod. You will also want at least a dozen cheese burgers and similar number of recharges/Aqualins cause dying and poison can ruin your journey. If you still don't have funds, don't worry. Check the hut where Ronan stays I believe north of the town for a free place to sleep and more goodies hidden, and grind a bit. You will want to level until cloud learns Blade Beam, his 3rd Limit. You also want aurora to master Vanish in particular, but that will take a lot of battles Abd isn't required. You can raid the singing mountain to get Clouds next weapon and serums next tool POISON NOVA, then head out, heal and restock.
August 13, 2015 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
Now before you go to the top of singing mountain, make sure you have items i mentioned in the last post, but also bring a snuggie for an instant mp/hp heal on aurora, this is as good as a shelter cause aurora can heal the team then use it to replenish mp at the save point. You should have a few spare lemonades at this time too from all your drawer raiding in town. The saibamen can be trivialized if you learned vanish, but keep your team healed and use fire to take them down. Raditz is weak to poison which aurora knows but aurora will also be on heal duty, you need the lemonades to allow to continue group healing and she can occasionally cast virus if no one needs healing. Raditz will periodically buff himself with reflect I believe, which aurora can remove by hitting him with the dispel rod, which will cast dispel 50% of the time. Have cloud and serin attack and if necessary use a cheeseburger. If you came stocked and prepared, you will get through this intense battle if not you're gonna get owned
August 13, 2015 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
The next section of the game isn't too challenging, have Banon always heal and you will be fine. I believe you receive a better item if you refuse to help Banon 3 times like in the original. After you fight ultros and the party gets separated, things become tough again! First, I recommend doing Auroras quest first as it's fastest. Save before you enter the Fraust cave, because there is a boss that will sneak attack, and it's hard to explain where he is exactly. When you learn where he is, load state or reset and theb you can prepare! He back attacks, so put everyone in their opposite row so when he attacks, they go into the correct row. I recommend Banon in the front row for the battle cause his magic staff does high damage. Cast VANISH On everyone, by now aurora should have learned it. The majority of this bosses attacks are physical and this will make it him almost helpless. That ends that section, next go to clouds. Since he can't steal, you get the merchant and soldier clothes through the braver limit I believe. Once you got through this and found Tifa, I'd recommend googling an image of the underground basement online as there are secret passages and items everywhere. Tifa has a lot of useful spells, can double attack and her slots are always helpful even if it fails After you leave and can go to south figaro again, stock up again on those items and grab a few relics too, you should have the money now. The star pendant/whitecaps/paladin code will be helpful for Ronan's adventure. Don't worry, after each section the characters are auto unequiped in version 1.3, so Ronan will get everything. Enjoy the FF7 music against the boss in the cave, it's anazing. I find this boss to be quite tough so once again be stocked yo and saved before you back in the cave. Cast protect and haste with Tifa and use blade bean and the ice spells from the back row. Once again, you should buy more lemonades before going here if you had used them all
August 13, 2015 at 6:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
Ronan's adventure is the best and most expanded section if this game, the events and character development here is magnificent. Make sure you gather plenty of Pizzas and karma jolts, shurikens and recharges along with cheeseburgers for out if battle healing. You need all these items to succeed, because no one has a cure spell. When you get Avalon at kefkas base camp equip him withbthe life bell if you found it, it is perfect for him as it allows him to heal outside of battle, and his ability depends on HP. At the Forest, you need to go take the path in the background in the room with the healing water, or you go in a circle. You get the reaper to assist you in the phantom train section, experiment with his abilities some of them can be useful I simply forgot what does what. That could be an entire guide on its own. The phantom train boss however is the toughest yet. Equip your team with this status resisting relics and keep them in the frontrow so when the phantom attacks you, you go in the back row, which is where you want to be. Uses shurikens, Aurabolt, and Havoc. Cast Regen on Havoc to keep his HP up. Aim For that pesky ghost first then the phantom train after. Afterwards, you will jump off a waterfall and face Staryu and Starmie. You should have a spare Bolt Scroll or 2, use them on s big group and the electric fist attack of Ronsn can be excellent but only if your in the front row with him. The wounded soldier that this time will give you a Old Record of you send the letters for him, which is needed for a side quest later. When you go underwater, stay RIGHT when arrows pop up to get the items that are hidden. Once you get to town, stock up once again on Recharges, Pizzas and only purchase arnor/Shields instead of swords. Once you take the boat back your done with this quest!
August 13, 2015 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
For this 3 team section, note you get 8th member this time! Use oboro for sure he will help a ton, and can steal from Kefka. I recommend dividing your team into a 4-3-1 set up. The 4 player team will charge right to a kefka. The 3 plsyer team will stay in front of Banon and will protect him from any enemies that may sneak up there. The 1 person team is just a throwaway. If Ronan learned Fire Dance he can obliterate random encounters here, Serin is fantastic with his cosmic fang, Oboros stealing and Shurikens are useful against Kefka. Your 4th member should be Aurora or Tifa for healing, Tifa will edge out Aurora here due to her protect and haste spells, and her free slot healing Kefka is harder this time and summons a zombie to help him. Ronan's Fire sbd aura bolt is super string here. Tifa will mainly play a support role, while the others attack.
August 13, 2015 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
For the next section I usually bring my lowest leveled characters and Ronan and Avalon often remain behind for this reason, they gain a lot of levels throughout the Ronan quest. You can see the cutscene at daventry anytime however with Ronan and serin in your team. Explore the towns and side shops, I think you might be able to get half price ITEms from the daventry merchant with Serin leading your team, so take advantage of that and stock up. The Psycho City still has a hidden tool like original using the time in the clock 6:10:50, it's powrtful but requires the front row, and u believe daventry will sell Serin his next tool, the Psycho Blade. Once you acquire espers, the game begins anew. In this version, you get random bonuses from level ups, not espers, so don't worry too much about over leveling prior to this point. Before you tackle the Opera House, have several members master Ramuhs Lightning spells. Remember Tifa will be opera star, so she won't be able to help in the battle against Ultros. Also, there is an old man ins house near Psycho City who will give you a Choice of 3 items. I recommend the molten axe because the other 2 weapons will be available anyway, but the molten axe isn't as common. The Collosieum is also near here, experiment here but make sure to save before, you may be able to upgrade some equipment. If you come prepared with fire and bolt attacks for the opera house, you'll do fine.
August 13, 2015 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
The magitek factory has a lot of robotic enemies and you will find a Icebrand And a taser mace pretty early in it. The little metallic men enemies, I forget their names are weak to Fire. This is a challenging area but you a lot of the enemies weaknesses at your disposal. Ronan is very recommends for his electric fist and fire dance here. Another Tip if give, and it's something I'd often neglect are status spells. Tifa comes with Hex, and successfully hexing an enemy is almost a free kill. Your espers also provide you with some basic status spells and as usual, the cosmic fang confusion is always extremely helpful. Save state Abd experiment status effects on enemies you have a hard time with, to see if they are vulnerable to them. You'd be surprised how much more efficient it can be then directly attacking them
August 13, 2015 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
My memory is fuzzy on the bosses here so I'm going to need to play through again. One thing I should mention is cloud bring forced into your team here. For a lot of this area, cloud isn't that great. However, if you reached his 5th Limit he can restore Hp/Mp off enemies. This is prior to when osmose is available (I believe that cubes from shiva) so he's the only person who can reliably replenish his MP without drinking delicious lemonade. So cloud can use his strongest spells all he wants and just restore the MP in one turn. Take advantage of this as it makes cloud a lot more useful for this part of the game
August 13, 2015 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Retrogamer
After this part of the game you now have control of the airship and get 2 new characters. Otis joins and he is quite strong to start, and you can get Mog just like the original in Narshe/Fraust. Mog as well is strong here but he tends to falter later in the game, so enjoy him now. You also finally get Aurora back and she is very weak. Try to level her up to get her back to speed and teach her all that esper Magic! A little trick for fast leveling on an emulator, equip Aurora with strong equipment and the life bell so she can automatically heal outside of battles, go to an area where she can reasonably defeat enemies with Her fight command and go turbo holding down the "A" button to just auto attack. If Aurora is solo she gets all the experience and you can get her back up to speed in literally minutes, and teach her spells too. Once she's caught up, bring in Mog and teach him some spells too. The Cave to the Sealed Gate has a lot of undead enemies weak to fire/Holy which makes ronan once again a great choice, I'd recommend also texting out Otis/Mog and Aurora here for a change of pace. I hope this helps someone whose playing and good luck! I'll update with more stuff when I play it again
August 13, 2015 at 8:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.